vibration removing rear drive shaft

I have a small vibration and want to try to solve the problem. It only occurs from 90 to 100km then stops. There is a vibration in the gas pedal and seat. I want to remove the rear drive shaft and take the jeep out to see if this is the problem. Is it safe to drive with out the rear drive shaft - put the jeep TJ 2002 in 4x4 and drive in front wheel drive? I have SYE. If this does not do the trick then I will try the front but this is a lot more work!

Reply to
snowboardripper

I had that problem on our XJ and turned out to be a bad tire. Belt was busted. Had vibs up at 90KPH...was good just before and after. Its pretty simple check...maybe you have a wheel out of balance. Knock off a weight???

Reply to
Seppster

Depending how high you are, your front driveshaft my vibrate worse. The front driveshaft should not rotate in 2wd.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I have driven home from a run at 55 mph and around for the week only on the front driveshaft. Just remember not to goose it when the steering is cranked over.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

He has a TJ, the front shaft turns all the time.

Mike

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

My mistake.. is this the same on YJ? I drove on my front shaft for a week after I sprung-over. Terrible vibes above 40mph in 4HI (which was front-drive). No vibes in 2HI (rear drive).

Carl

Reply to
Carl

No, the YJ's have the vacuum disconnect so the driveshaft stays put when in 2 WD. Same for the CJ's with their manual disconnects and at least the first version of the 'new' XJ also have a vacuum disconnect.

Those vibes over 40 in 4 high are not normal. That implies a bad u-joint either in the driveshaft or in the axle ends. You should be smooth as silk all the way up to at least 70 mph in 4 high.

I use it in both my Jeeps at full highway speed in snow squalls. If I am driving along at 65 mph and see snow on the road ahead, I just shift into 4 high and keep on truckin'. See dry ahead and shift back to 2 HI. I always lock my CJ7 up before going on the highway in those kind of conditions.

Mike

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

It's got new u-joints. I think the angle of the driveline is too severe for above 40mph... I have about 8" of lift on a stock front driveline. No t-case drop.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I had a small vibration in the gas pedal and steering wheel on my 93 YJ - replaced both U-joints on the rear axle (relatively inexpensive and easy) found that just 1 bearing cap was bad,,,, vibration went away.

My recommendation is if you are going to drop the drive shaft, just replace the u-joints (greasable) and let er rip!

Reply to
jaco