Waggoneer Towing Capacity

Grand Waggoneer has a 5000lb towing capacity, which was less than I would have thought. Anybody know what the limiting factor is ? I'm guessing its engine power as the chassis is very substantial, the axles are D44s and the vehicle is quite wide and long (even although its the Narrow Track). 5000lb is what the Liberty can tow ..

Dave Milne

Braking capacity is not there for more weight.

Isn't the GVWR about 2500kg or about? That 5K rating has to be with a braked trailer.

Reply to
MacIntosh

Dave,

I think it was tops in its class in its day, so there wasn't much incentive to give unrealistically high towing figures, as in the Liberty you mention. I would tow 10,000 pounds in my old Wagoneer before I would tow 5000 in a Liberty. Although, I would never dare pass a gas station without filling up the little gas tank.

You have to keep in mind that towing capacity is how it is equipped from the factory. Add a set of beefy springs or air shocks, and I would think you could do 7-8000 easy, as long as you have trailer brakes and are not in the Rockies. Keep in mind, they are only disk/drum brakes. The V8 engine HP is actually amazingly wimpy on the Wagoneer, but it has a lot of torque.

Dana C. Rohleder Port Kent, NY

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

GVWR is 6025 lb (2738kg). I have a twin axle braked trailer which itself has a 2700kg GVWR.

Reply to
Dave Milne