Wagoneer Power Steering

I am having a bit of trouble with my power steering, in that it "feels" weak, i.e., the wheel oscillates when turning tight at low speed or out of a parking spot, and I've recently had the engine die in a tight turn. I've checked the belts.

One noteworthy clue: I haven't had this GW long, and the first time I checked the PS reservoir, it was quite low, though not empty. I filled the reservoir to "Full" and the steering works OK, but just OK-- no problem on the highway, but has that "weak" feeling when driving slow.

Reply to
randallbrink

Engine stall under load from the PS system isn't uncommon, especially if you have any vac leaks or the engine idle is too low. The PS pump can put a real strain on the engine.

Can't speak for the feeling, that might just be the way it is set up. i.e. low boost.

By "wheel oscillates" are you feeling a side to side motion while in a turn? This can be worn suspension bits translating back up the steering system. Also if you have a limited slip or locker, that can cause some odd feelings at slow speed in tight turns.

Reply to
DougW

Doug--

Thanks for all this. There is certainly the possibility of wear in the steering mechanism, with 186K on the vehicle. I'll check that when I am underneath this weekend. I am intrigued by your comment on "low boost" is this a setting that is on the PS pump??

Reply to
randallbrink

It's a function of the steering setup, pump pressure, and fluid volume /speed. Some setups have higher boost than others. Think about the differnce between a sports car and a luxury boatmobile.

Generally it's not adjustable. Although some vehicles use a washer in the pressure side to control flow rate, thus adjusting boost.

Reply to
DougW