Wanted: image of rear of AMC 360 showing freeze plugs (coolant leak)

Does anyone know of an online image showing the rear of the AMC

360 block showing the location of the freeze plugs?

I have a project Grand Wagoneer that runs smoothly, but spews coolant from the rear of the engine just above the oil pan. I believe it's most likely that a freeze plug has rusted through. The leak is so severe that the radiator can't be filled.

Before I decide whether it would be easier to raise the engine or drop the transmission to access the source of the leak it would be helpful to be able to visualize the area in question. Thoughts or other suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Reply to
Frank

They are not hard to find or small. If you cannpt see up in there you can feel up there. You should be able to see up in there fine if you just get under it with a light. I put a block heater in a AMC 360 in a Jeep truck many years ago (you remove a freeze plug) and I did not have to raise engine up to do it.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

You'll have to pull the tranny, remove the flywheel or flex plate and replace the casting plugs which are cleverly hidden behind the flywheel or flex plate.

An alternative is to pull the engine, replace ALL the plugs and, while it's out, do a total rebuild if you think it might need it.

Reply to
XS11E

When one cast plug has failed due to corrosion, normally the rest are due to follow.

With that in mind, I recommend pulling the engine and doing all of them at once. There are three or four back there and ones in the sides.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08
Reply to
Mike Romain

While your at it it would also be a good idea to give the blcok a good flushing out and poke around in the water jacket with a lenght of coathanger wire to get any crud out of there, ought to make the engine run cooler.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!!

All very helpful.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

I have a picture, but I need an e-mail address to send it to.

Reply to
rriess

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III