WARNING Re: Faked 1946 Willys Army Jeep on eBay

There is a very faked Jeep on ebay being advertised as being "all original". This is one of the most slapped together mish-mash of parts from several jeep models and decades I have ever seen! The crime is he has labeled it so incorrectly - fraud I say - and some poor dopes that don't know any better are bidding it up to the $10,000 range.

This is a homebuilt jeep, not a factory Army jeep as purported. There are so many things wrong with this "only 571 miles on it" jeep I don't know where to begin.

The Top Bows are not even correct for an MB/GPW, nor for a CJ-2a. They are M-38 (1950-51), as is the windshield frame. The rear Top Bow mounting brackets are home made, not factory. The Front winch is not military, not Willys factory. The CJ-2a did not come with 4 grab handles; they are incorrect on a 1946 jeep. The blackout lights are a mess. The Front B/O lights are not in the grill where they should be IF it were a real military vehicle. The rear B/O Lights are mounted upside down and not in the correct position for a military jeep. Civilian Jeeps did not come with Pre-War Dodge King-Bee Marble reflectors. There is a muffler clamp holding the Carb elbow to the top of the carb - YIKES!!! There are muffler clamps holding the non-military Ax & shovel to the wrong side of the vehicle. CJs don't have Ax & Shovel, MB/GPWs did, but on the driver's side, not the passenger side as this cobble-job has been done up. The wire harness is homemade, and a bad one at that. Where did the hood welting go over the grill? It should still be there with only 571 original miles on the jeep.

CJ's don't have the spare tire & gas can mounted to the tailgate. Military Jeeps don't have tailgates. Military jeeps don't have locking wheel hubs either.

It has had a WWII glove box cut into the CJ-2A dashboard on the body. The glove box door looks homemade. It has the long 1pc data plate instead of the 3-piece data plate set.

The rear bumperettes are mounted upside down. What is up with the black reversed painted star? And the aftermarket taillight? It has a postwar pintle hook, probably from a Vietnam era M151. It has a

3-stud spare tire mount - that was discontinued at Willys in 1943!

What a mess, any other knowledgeable jeepers want to send this guy an email 'correcting' his listing?

Brian's Military Jeeps of WWII

Squadron Patches of WWII

Reply to
Brian French

I like the fact that on 8/11 he says it is "NOT a reproduction" then on

8/12 he says "All the extras where added".

Reply to
aGraham

This guy can't even spell and appears to know absolutely nothing about Jeeps. Some of his most amazing utterances are:

"it has the brass I think there called warren hubs"

"Every thing about this jeep and its accessories are real and original except the paint."

"All the extras where added to this jeep. It has been a life long project."

It's located in Courtenay, .B.C. too. Maybe it's actually a Canadian version. ;o)

I conclude that the seller is not the original owner or collector, and probably knows next to nothing about the vehicle that he did not look up in a book or catalog. Conspicuous for its absence is history of this particular vehicle. That should be a red flag for any buyer.

Despite the historical inaccuracy, this is a nice vehicle and the new owner will probably be very happy with it. That is, until he tries to donate it to a museum and the curator says he doesn't want it...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Here's another one: "Money makes you stupid..."

Earle

> 0&item=2427443462> >

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Brian, Send a copy of this to ebay customer service. TJim

Reply to
TJim

Well, they are all real, and they are all originals. Just not for the Jeep he is talking about. Deffinite jerk.

Reply to
jbjeep

I always thought it was " A fool and his money are soon partying" :-)

Rob > A fool and their money will soon part.

Reply to
Rob Bottom

HA! Ebay won't let you do that, they'll cancel your account for such an infraction. Gotta keep the money flowin....

Reply to
Kenneth Garman

Report it to eBay as a fraud.

Reply to
DougW

It's against Ebay's rules, yes. Rules are made to be abused! But they can't stop you. Rules are made to be abused! And if you don't use them, who cares anyway?

Reply to
Kimball

Tried to get a freind to post it (I wont go near e-bay other than to look at the funny pics), and got this reply:

Subject: Re: (fwd) WARNING Re: Faked 1946 Willys Army Jeep on eBay From: electricsheep@ Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:03:19 -0700

Unfortunately eBay won't do squat with out proof. If someone found links with pictures to disprove the claims something might be done but with out documation they will just say that they do not verify the items that are up for auction. It gets really irritating! Sorry

Reply to
jbjeep