Water pump problem.

I just replaced the water pump on my 93 Cherokee (4.0 inline six) and there seems to be a bigger issue at hand. My wife was driving it when the water pump failed, she said that it ran hot but there was no noticeable smoke. Now with the new water pump on the vehicle, there is smoke coming from the engine block (where the spark plugs insert) and the engine is still running hot. Any ideas to my problem?

Reply to
wodell1

wodell1 did pass the time by typing:

I'd start by pulling out and replacing all the spark plugs. They are probably cooked and might have cracked. You could also have some oil from the valve cover down on that side of the engine.

You need to check the oil for coolant and the coolant for oil.

Depending on how hot it got you could have a failed head gasket. But that's not terribly likely. I'd check the plugs first.

Either way I'd change the oil immediately. After an overheat the oil has gotten too hot and will break down.

Sure you didn't get coolant on the side of the block after you replaced the pump.. and it ran down into #1 and #2 sparkplug divots just to boil off when the engine got hot.... Been there, done that.. :)

Reply to
DougW

Did you check the pump to make sure you got the correct one?

Somewhere along the line they switched to a reversed vane pump.

Reply to
billy ray