water temp & oil pressure readings

hi group i have a 91 yj w/ I6 and the following probs:

the needle in the water temp gauge sometimes would for no apparent reason jump to the far right (highest reading) as far as it can go and stay there -- light tapping of my finger against the gauge brings the needle where it should be -- near the middle of the scale

the oil pressure gauge has the same problem except that no amount of tapping on the gauge would bring the needle to where it should be -- showing variations in oil pressure. the needle stays at highest reading at all times.

what's wrong? can someone help? many thanks!

yjer

Reply to
Peter D.

The high oil pressure reading is usually the sender unit mounted on the engine block. Runs about $25 at NAPA or other serious car parts place. Do not use the sender units in the blister packs next to the add on gauges, those have a different callibration.

The temp gauge problem sounds like a dirty short in the flex wiring behind the gauge. (At least that's where I'd start) Remove the foam covers, remove the gauge package, clean things up back there. It tends to get really dusty if the Jeep has been driven on back roads.

cheers.

Peter D. wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ