Weak Brakes

Hey Folks, I have a '76 CJ-7 with 33" tires on 11" drum brakes all around (brakes from the factory and Jeep has a build date of Sep '75). [I know 33" mud tires weren't a factory option:)] Anyway, brakes have always been weak and I have to stand on 'em to make it stop. Shoes, wheel cylinders, hoses and master cylinder are all new/great shape and bled the system. Drums have been turned at Least once and I've never bled the proportioning valve. First thing in the morning, when it's cool, I often get stop-on-a-dime performance for the first stop. After that, it takes a strong leg to stop and need to downshift to stop fast. How big a difference can bleeding the proportioning valve make? Do you think the drums are past tolerance and how much of a difference could that make? Drink

Reply to
Drink

You are describing all the CJ brakes I have ever seen....

I have 33's and power front disks and need to stand on the pedal to stop fast. My old tenant had an 85 with standard and front disks and if anything his was easier than mine to stop, but still took a good push.

I have never heard of anyone 'bleeding' a combination or proportioning valve. Either they work or they are garbage. If you do get air trapped in them, there will be no mistake, the pedal will be spongy. Air is supposed to bleed through them or they are broken....

Mike

Mike Romain

The fact that the brakes really work in the morning makes me think that the primary shoe is grabbing much tighter when it is wet/cold/rusted. This is a characteristic of certain high metalic content brake shoes. You might want to try some shoes with higher organic content. (not as good in either water or high heat but there may be a compromise.

But your proportioning valve must be clamped open (pin on the end either pushed or pulled depending on model) while bleeding in order to get good operation. You would be surprised at how bad the barkes can get if one of the shoe or one of the circuits is not running correctly.

Gr> Hey Folks,

Reply to
RoyJ

Be sure to check that the brakes are properly adjusted. They should slightly drag when spinning the wheel by hand. Only slightly.

One other thing, the rolling weight of that wheel / tire combination may just be too much for drum brakes.

While I agree with most of what RoyJ said, I disagree with one statement:

Reply to
Spdloader