Weeping gear oil 95 YJ

Good evening.

I have gear oil weeping from what Ive been told was a overflow tube from the rear diff. I have small puddles of gear oil on the rear drivers side. To the left of the gas tank (looking at it from the rear of the vehicle). What may cause this? As well it is leaking a small amount from the rubber plug at the fill hole. Why would the overflow tube be spuing oil. I just had the rear diff fluid changed three weeks ago. I did not start leaking until after it was serviced. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg

Reply to
jerryg

The person who changed the diff oil screwed up. They probably put too much in. Take it back and complain. The rear plug is probably worn out and that is why it is leaking.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
jerryg

Be sure to be a little more tactful than my post was. Offer them a chance to check it out because of the leakage and take it from there..

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Have you had your Jeep out to play in the water? If the rear axle or pinion seals are weak, you can easily get water into the diff if you stop in a deep puddle of water. That can cause your symptoms.

Mike

Mike Romain

The quick lube places, and lots of "reputable" shops too, fill gear lube with a motor-driven pump. It is real easy to get too much in, because the fill hole is the same as the level hole. You don't see the fluid flowing back out, until you have put a quart extra in. Imagine molasses under pressure. Of course, the "technician" is supposed to account for this when he is pumping it in there.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
jerryg

I had the same problem with my son's '94 YJ. An easy fix would be to pop out the rubber fill plug and let it drip out until it stops dripping.

That fixed our overfill problem.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Have you or preveous owner had a slip yoke installed, new driveshaft and pinion tilted up towards transfer case, if so fill plug level wont mean much. My daughter's 9" will hold a quart more then it's supposed to, filling it to fill hole will force it out the vent tube and eventual blow the axle seals out.

Reply to
Greg

Why would it hold more with the pinion tilted up? Is the fill hole in the front on a nine inch? The OP likely has a D35, which has a rubber fill plug in the diff cover.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Oh sorry wasn't even thinking of were fill plug was, yes on a 9" it's in the front, part of the 3rd member, my AMC 20 is also in the front, only part of a D 35 I have had anything to do with is swapping them. Last one was an

2004 Explorer Sport Track 8.8, got it for $100.00, only had 3000 miles on it, disk breaks and limited slip.
Reply to
Greg

I wonder if the tech that serviced your vehicle inadvertently squirted some gear oil in the vent tube. It could splash in there maybe. If that is the case it should stop coming out after some time.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Hmmm.....

Are you sure you are looking at the vent line and it's gear oil?

The vent line will be a 3/8" ID or so line with a plastic fitting and cap on the end of it. It should be pointing straight up.

You also will have a mess of lines back there that are the gas tank vent and roll over check valve. These would lead up to a charcoal canister under the hood. If one of these are leaking, you might get some goey sludge out of it. I think the unit is on the other side though, but don't know on a 95. Likely there are two lines coming off either side of the top of the gas tank leading to one line like the CJ has.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
jerryg

Reply to
jerryg

Jerry, re-read what you just wrote! The diff level is fine and it's spewing oil all over the place. You need to do one of two things: install a hose and start selling all that oil you're making or figure where it's coming from.

A little gear oil goes a l> got home today, and the darn thing is spuing all over. what gives?

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
jerryg

Don't feel bad, Jerry. Oil is "sticky" and a little goes a long way. Glad you got it fixed.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton