Weight-distributing hitch

How much weight (how big a boat) does anyone think a 1990 YJ, 4.2L, 5- speed could tow safely?

I'm trying to determine if our YJ will safely pull our

20.5' (3,000-3,500 lb) boat.

Would appreciate any words of wisdom.

Thanks, Rick

Reply to
ricksink

Well, what I _meant_ to ask is how much I could tow _if_ I added a weight-distributing hitch to the towing setup. Thanks again for any advice. Rick

Reply to
ricksink

Rick,

The max towing capacity of any Wrangler is 2000lbs. The drivetrain is stout enough to handle 5000lbs, but the wheelbase on a Wrangler is far too short to put any more than 2000lbs behind it. It will pull and stop the load, but turns will be risky business. Not sure, but I think that boat would put you over your GVWR.

Sorry,

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

2000 lb is the legal limit in North America and with good reason. The short wheelbase can end up with 'the tail wagging the dog' really easily when trying to stop or turn fast as in avoiding something.

The Jeep has the power to pull it no problem, it's the stopping and turning.

Cops do know things like this and I for one have been pulled over for having too big a tow on a full sized pickup even.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
RoyJ

FWIW, the only boat trailering my YJ does is positioning the trailer in the backyard for the winter - and this is only because my dad's F150 is

2wd and sp> Absolutely NOT!!!!! Spec is 2000 pounds. The drive train and brakes are
Reply to
The Merg

Mmmmm, this is interesting. I have a "short wheelbased" Liberty with a 5000 lb towing capacity. I pull a 21' Jayco travel trailer like a dream. Of course, it is factory equipped as far a towing is concerned, as well as diesel powered but a properly equipped 3.7 has the same capacity.

Reply to
budman

Liberty's wheelbase isn't as short as a YJ/TJ and the CG is lower.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
Frank_v7.0