weird amp meter behavior in Jeeps

The battery in my 91 XJ died yesterday. This was probably due to draining it throughly 6 months ago when the fuel pump went out and then leaving the dome light on all night. After running around for a while, it would restart fast, indicating that while the battery was being charged, it would not hold the charge overnight.

For the first time in my life, I actually got a replacement battery for free from Auto Zone, as it was 4 days before the 3 year free replacement warranty was out. But I digress.

Prior to the failure to start on Monday morning, it had been obvious that the battery was going south. Very slow cranking in the mornings, very slow power window unless the engine was on. But the amp meter never went much to the charge side, just stayed in the middle.

My pervious XJ (a 92) did nearly the same thing a few years ago. I was sure I needed an alternater, but bringing it into the shop, they said I only needed a battery. Replaced that and I was happy for the next two years until I sold it.

In every vehicle I've ever had before with a marginal battery, the amp gauge would go way over to charge after starting.

Now, on the third start with the new battery, the gauge went about 1/3 of the way over to the charge side, indicating an healthy alternater.

What's going on ? Is it a Jeep thing?

Regards,

DAve

Reply to