Weird gage problem - HELP!

Hi Folks,

My beloved 96 Cherokee is starting to drive me nuts. At only 268,000 miles the throwout bearing went out (original clutch), they sure don't build these things like they used too!

OK, that's fixed, here is my problem. For quite a while the speedometer has been bouncing around a bit, like the cable (which it doesn't have), needs to be lubed. The problem has gradually been getting worse and has gotten to the point where the speedometer is almost useless.

What is really odd about this is the gas gage has started acting up right along with the speedo... when the speedo is dead the gas gage pegs full, and when the speedo starts working (or trying to work) the gas gage starts moving too.

In addition under light deceleration and left turns they try to work.

Saturday I decided it was time to do something about it. I pulled the instrument cluster out and tugged and pushed the wires, did the same thing with the wiring under the dash, in the engine compartment, and the wiring going to the transmission and the gas tank. None of those made any difference in the gas gage. (Ignition on of course).

Then I started looking at the "Power distribution center" at the right rear corner of the engine compartment. Poking at those wires made the gage drop! I took that thing loose and prodded and pulled each of the wires, blew the dust out of the unit itself, and removed each fuse and relay one at a time to see which one made a difference ... NONE of them did. I can move the whole mess and the gage would change, but it doesn't seem to narrow down to one wire.

I've got a Hayes manual but it's not very helpful, and doesn't even show that power distribution box. There has GOT to be a common circuit with the speedometer and the gas gage, and I can't help but think there is a ground problem somewhere.

Have any of you had a similar problem, or any suggestions what I should check?

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Just a guess on my behalf....but I think you'll get some tips on checking grounds.

On turns, the stress in the frame is enough to give intermittant contact.... By pushing/tugging on the wiring Distribution Center you might be pushing it in better contact for a ground.

If you push on the Dist.Center and hold it in one spot....does it stay working? or still jump?

Reply to
SteveBrady