What Determines Air Coldness?

I have a general air conditioning question somewhat unrelated to my 2000 Jeep Cherokee. What determines how cold an air conditioner will blow? Mine blows cold, but on the same day, a friend's (not a Jeep) blows colder. Is maintenance a factor? That is, if it's working correctly, meaning it's blowing cold, would maintenance be a factor in it blowing *colder*. Or is this just a matter of different manufacturer's equipment working differently.

Reply to
Alan Bell

Complex question & answer. I hope you get better answers than mine, but I'll give it a shot!

Variables affecting perception/reality of cooling:

Maintenance (lots of individual variables therein) Refrigerant (R12 vs 134) Interior volume of vehicle Initial interior temperature of vehicle Recirc vs fresh air setting etc., etc.

Back in '71 the techs at the Esso/Exxon station where I worked (changed names mid-summer) would put a dial-type thermometer in dash outlet--if it got down to

40 degrees F, it was good to go! Try measuring for objective difference.

YMMV, greatly!

Paul B.

01 XJ
PLB49

The gauge on the manifold (the one with the hoses that go from the refridg tank to the high/low side of your AC) has a temperature that coincides with a pressure - different pressures for different temperatures for different refrigerants (i.e.: R-12 = 30deg F @ 28.5psig - R134A = 30deg F @26.1psig) this temperature is somewhere in the center of the evaporator. whatever is between somewhere in the center of the evaporator & the end of your thermometer will probably be the largest variable.

Carlo Jr.