what exactly happened here?

Hi everyone,

What has happened to this newsgroup? I am starting to understand that Bill has pissed the wrong person off this time. Correct?? Is there any way that we can fix this group? I looked forward to visiting this board daily and reading about the wonderful world of jeeps. It's a world I miss allot and I really enjoy reading everyone's moments with their jeeps. Now it's getting to be a bit much, with all this terribly unnecessary vulgarity. I am not looking to piss anyone off here, just wondering what the deal is with all the crap that is being posted.

Reply to
Josh Piela

You seem to have as good an idea as most of us Josh. Looks like Bill drug something in on his heel, and it's stinking up the house. Hopefully this will teach him to wipe his feet.

My personal expereince has been that the BEST course of action, believe it or not, is as follows. Never EVER reply to the trolls. It's hard to resist though.

As soon as their messages appear, delete them, and delete the replies. Don't read them just hit the delete key and be done with it.

It will help keep the room tidy, (on your screen) even though it is like sweeping the dirt under the rug.

It would be different if it were a good flame war where there was some entertainment value, but in this case the participants are uncreative idiots.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Now, I thought I was very creative, Kate.

....and honest, too.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

"Josh Piela" wrote in news:UuB2g.3533$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

I hear you, Josh. I had a problem with my radio in my Jeep and found this group March 30th of this year hoping to get some advice. The stuff you're referring to seems to have started very recently. Your choices are to 1. learn how to killfile posters and threads (it's much easier in other newsreaders but OE will do the job for you) or 2. just wait it out and hope it goes away (it probably won't) or 3. give up and leave the group.

The problem with this kind of thing is that it seems to escalate, and responding to any of the posts will only make it worse. I believe option 3. will be the only successful fix for many of us but I'm willing to see what happens over the next few days.

Reply to
XS11E

FYI Only

Not quite. Not person, but persons. Many. From many different groups.

And because of things like this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Hi Josh, You may help by reporting the abuse to the addresses you find in their header. That's the only way we may remove the trolls that would spam our groups. Learn how to via: SPAM COMPLAINTS -

COMPLAINTS -
ATTEMPTS -
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

The observer.

Reply to
Pink Freud

Bill,

The most abusive postings seem to come from anonymous remailers. As far as I can figure out, these exist, solely to allow people to abuse Usenet with impunity. I have heard "freedom of speech", "freedom from political persecution", etc. argued for the existence of these pests, but all I have

**seen** coming from them, is abuse.

Any clue what to do about them?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That's how it is on the unmoderated Usenet. Some of the nuts are fun to taunt, other are just too pathetically ignorant to waste time on. in any case, Trolls feed on attention, and ignoring them is the best course of action. This last one claimed to be performing his act as a public service, yet has no moral dilemma with annoying a hundred innocents to accomplish his ludicrous task. Of course, his attempted victim has proven to be impervious to logic and facts that are contrary to his beliefs, but this use of 5th grade schoolyard tactics may teach him why most people don't put their personal information out on the web. I wonder how many new magazine subscriptions, etc. are showing up? Just remember what Freud said about people who capitalize all of their "k"s.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

I wonder if it would be possible for the ISP's to filter out posts from these anonymous remailers? After all all of this stuff has to come through their servers and it's wasting good bandwidth and annoying their customers.

Jeff DeWitt

Earle Hort> Bill,

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

bill is a cornerstone of this group. he isnt going anywhere, wait it out and the troll will eventually troll on elsewhere.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Yup, the more the troll posts, the more I have respect for Bill. He's persuaded some monkey to spend hours of their time posting the same old insult here. It's a bit like teasing a small dog ; it makes a tremendous amound of noise while you laugh at it, but ultimately it can't do anything.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

YOU could filter out those posts if you so choose.

Bill has been very provocational and feels he is the channelmaster here and it is easy to see why this has happened. As a matter of fact if his house BLEW UP one night and everyone inside was killed including all the other members of his family whom he has senselessly endangered by his flamboasting I would be less than shocked. Sad of course, because they had nothing to do with it, but it would not astonish me.

Still, their (the attackers') behavior has been very cowardly.

Since Bill does not appear to post on any other newsgroup, probably directing your questions to another one might be helpful too.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Today Pink Freud commented courteously on the subject at hand

Several people, including yours truly, have tried to get it back on track but some folks still want to feed the troll, the same troll that lights down in a NG until people stop replying, then he quickly tires and moves on. Just plonk the fool and move on with your life, it'll help everyone, even the mentally ill person in question.

Reply to
All Things Mopar

I am in agreement with Nathan and Kate. Ignore trolls and they vanish. They have no power if no one acknowledges them.

I like to call this the "Eeyore Effect". Trolls like to make others feel small, especially if they're smaller than the target, anyway. That makes the troll look big --he thinks.

Bill is admittedly controversial. But there is more admiration than scorn; he has much knowledge that he is always willing to share, and he has experience that few understand. And I admire his restraint. It has been said that the greatest quality a leader can demonstrate is the ability to ignore hatred. This is here for all to see.

I don't mind trolls being miserable by themself. But if they insist on spreading their anger publically, it is wise to follow Bill's example.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

"Bret Ludwig" wrote

: Since Bill does not appear to post on any other newsgroup, probably : directing your questions to another one might be helpful too.

Bret, this was sarcasm... right?

Bill has dragged these anonymous anarchists in here with him from the other groups.

They didn't start here.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Just what makes you so goddamn proud of pissing off people like this and then having them follow you from group to group posting their ilk and annoying everyone in all of the groups involved?

Honestly Bill, you might try considering the consequences of your actions. Eventually even those that respect your knowledge and sense of humor may even turn the other way because of your 'fan club'. People have a low tolerance for bullshit, and that's what this is. I know that I am certainly sick to death of opening the group to see all of the posts about your supposed affection for barnyard animals.

I suppose that this being the case I could leave, but unlike some people I am not normally one to be chased off by undesirables, I like to be the one to do the chasing.

So, how about you try doing whatever it is you have to do to get these guys to leave you alone? Next time don't antagonize them. This all falls back on YOUR shoulders, you have to be the one to deal with it. It's time for you to clean up the mess that you tracked into the house Bill.

Damn kids, dress them all up, wash behind their ears and they STILL embarrass you in front of rich Aunt Tillie.

Kate

: > Bill, : >

: > The most abusive postings seem to come from anonymous remailers. As far as : > I can figure out, these exist, solely to allow people to abuse Usenet with : > impunity. I have heard "freedom of speech", "freedom from political : > persecution", etc. argued for the existence of these pests, but all I have : > **seen** coming from them, is abuse. : >

: > Any clue what to do about them? : >

: > Earle

Reply to
Kate

Awww geeze.... c'mon now, you know you're one of my favorites.

Reply to
Kate

I thought I was your favorite brother.....even though mom always liked you best...

Reply to
billy ray

"JD Adams" wrote

: : Bill is admittedly controversial. But there is more admiration than : scorn; he has much knowledge that he is always willing to share, and he : has experience that few understand. And I admire his restraint. It : has been said that the greatest quality a leader can demonstrate is the : ability to ignore hatred. This is here for all to see.

I'm not fesharing your opinion here JD. People can lose admiration and respect for someone, no matter what their knowledge base is, if they consistantly go out and bring trouble home with them. A lot of Bill's knowledge can be gained from other sources easily enough without all of the hooey that is going along with it lately.

In this case, Bill made some waves in another group, or groups and then rather than quash it, he encouraged it to escalate and now it has landed here because he is so hammerheaded he will not let it go.

I say he needs to stop it. I don't admire him for this sort of thing.

The folks in here giving him ego strokes for his actions are not helping much either. I think Bill shit in his own mess kit.

: I don't mind trolls being miserable by themself. But if they insist on : spreading their anger publically, it is wise to follow Bill's example.

They wouldn't have been angry if Bill would have stopped poking through the bars with a stick.

: -JD

:Kate

Reply to
Kate