What is behind the TJ rear light holder [Congo Cage] for strength

Hi guys and gals,

Was looking to purchase a congo cage from kargo master to secure my camping junk up above my TJ. Just went out to the colorado river with my son on a 6 day trip on a wheeling / fishing trip. Needless to say, space was maxed to high hell. You know the idea, can't see out a rear window, can't see out rear side windows, blah.

Well, even putting my cargo carrier (22 x 56) with 2 foot rise on the ass end of my 2" receiver. Just didn't cut if with all my fishing garb and massive cooler.

FYI, Yes, the rear seat was out, in addition I have the garvin bumper with the cargo basket (hell that barely holds my tackle box [not that its poor quality]).

Probably wouldn't have been too bad for 3 days, but with food and other kid toy stuff, it was a nightmare.

So can someone tell me how in the heck the congo cage can boast 500 lb cargo capacity while latching onto the rear of just the rear light carriers? Is the rear light(s) carrier reinforced or is it just sheet metal?

Anybody have a picture of the tail lights out of the socket/carrier? I guess I can gp rip one out, but was hoping to get real info here first. Thanks much.

Oh, and thanks for any advice and take care,

Reply to
ULB

Sheet metal. I assume they have some sort of reinforcement for the area, but I really dont know. Here are some pics of that area with the light ripped out.

jbjeep

out.http://jbjeep.terahex.com/Moab03/Damages/images/P4110057.JPGhttp://jbjeep.terahex.com/Moab03/Damages/images/P4110056.JPG> -jenn

Thank you very much Jenn.

Seems they are sheet metal. I pulled mine off, it looks like sheet metal with just a minor 1/16 in backing plate on the inside of them with a backing nut. I guess I will try my luck with the kargo master congo cage.

Thanks for the pics and have a great night. BTW, I hope that wasn't your jeep. Hate when that happens!

Reply to
ULB

Yep, in 03 I rolled it at Moab. It's all better now. =)

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep