What kind of transmission and transfer case is in the Rubicon?

Hi all: Okay, I bought my '04 Rubicon new, and I want to change the transmission fluid. So, looking in the service manual I bought from DC, I first looked for the body code plate, (nope, not under the driver seat as stated) to determine which transmission, either the NV1500 or the NV3550. The same thing with the transfer case, is it an NV231 or an NV241? Yeah, there's a metal tag screwed on the case but I can't find any of the numbers from the tag in the manual. I'm assuming the front and rear axles are Dana model 44.. The service manual that DC sent is for jeep wrangler so it covers all the various models. I can't find where it says something about "The Rubicon transmission is model number..."

I know it's probably pretty obvious I'm missing it, but can you guys help me out?

Thanks

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd Hanning

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill beat me to it. No Rubicons had an NV1500, that was behind the 4-cyl engine. The standard '07 Wrangler has (will have) the 241 transfer case, but not 4:1 ratio IIRC; in '04 only the Rubicon had a 241.

Pennzoil Syncromesh is formulated for New Venture transmissions and is cheaper than the dealership oil.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo