What's this battery picker-upper called?

So I come out of the local watering hole after lunch, get in my '99 TJ and try to start it. ...nothing ...the battery's deader'n a door nail. I got a jump start, then drove it up to a repair shop where a buddy of my son works to get a new battery.

Now, I've changed the battery in this thing myself before and know that getting the old battery out and putting the new one in without help is damned near impossible; a real knuckle-buster.

So I'm at the shop shootin' the breeze with the guy and when it came time to pull the old battery out, he grabbed a tool that looked sorta like an old-time ice tongs, only squashed, fitted the ends around the top of the battery, and pulled it right out. Slicker'n cow slobber on a flat rock. Likewise putting the new one in -- just clamped it with his ice tongs and slid the thing right down in place. So I decided I gotta have one of these things.

I stopped by the NAPA store on the way home and tried to describe what I wanted 'cause I didn't know what it's called. Blank stares. They had no idea what I was talking about.

So tomorrow or Monday I'll drop by O'Reilly's and Advance, and hope that one of them has this thing, but my question for you guys is: What's it called? ...Battery tongs? ...puller? ...handle? ...grabber? ...lifter? ...extracter? ...thing-to-pick-up-a-battery-with? Does anybody know?

Thanks in advance,

Scotty '99 TJ Sahara '99 Cherokee Sport

*** And now, we return to our regularly-scheduled program... ***
Reply to
Scotty

The first shot on google found this

Rusted

Thanks. I appreciate it.

I guess if I'd have known what it was called like you do, I wouldn't be asking for help here, right?

Thanks again.

Scotty

"Rusted"

Reply to
Scotty

. So I decided I gotta have one of these things.

Exactly how often do you plan on pulling out your battery? LOL Tookie - Denham Springs, LA

88YJ, 4" lift, 33" TSLs, Lock-Rights PosiLock, 4.10s
Reply to
Tookie