What tire chains to buy for my TJ?

Elk hunting season is almost here and I want to get some tire chains "just in case" for my TJ. I'll be pulling a 4x6 utility trailer and I'd like the extra security if things got gnarly in the high country.

Any suggestions? Cable or links? Damn things are spendy!

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

If you really 'need' them, I would recommend you check out your local truck shops for the type commercial truckers use. They are not usually more expensive than the ones 4x4 shops sell.

That said, I do not recommend them on a Jeep. From what I have seen, if your Jeep can't make it through something, chains are just going to make it worse.

We were on a run with a gent with chains and he figured because he had the chains on, he could go farther than the rest of us. Only took about

3 hours to get him back the 100 yd. he made it.

He was digging holes so fast my dog was drooling with envy.

Mike

Handywired wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Approximately 10/21/03 01:11, Handywired uttered for posterity:

I've used the V-Bar link chains for years. Advantages are that if you have the tools, they are easily repaired or adjusted slightly in size. Disadvantages are that the !@@!#$ things are incredibly noisy and will vibrate your head off if used much above 20 mph.

If you ever try a good cable chain, you'll never go back to links. I suspect you could also repair the cables if needed, but I've never had one need it yet.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

No, I don't... though it is a small utility trailer and won't be heavily loaded.

But the point is, elk season is 5 days long. If it snows, we are still hunting! So though I might not WANT to pull a trailer with my TJ in icy conditions, I might HAVE to.

Any suggestions for chains? I know nothing.

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The owners manual says it's a no-no with 30" tires and to do the rear only if you have

Reply to
Tim Hayes

Colorado State Patrol says four wheel drive plus mud and snow tires are "just as good as chains" for conditions where chains are required for passenger cars. I can't figure out why you would put chains on something like a TJ unless you planned to drive on glare ice with rain water or a thin layer of mud on top. I never had any trouble with my YJ in winter without chains even though I used to live in the Pacific Northwest, the icy slush capitol of the world. Perhaps if you want to off-road in snow or mud...

That said chains loosen up with use even if you think you have them set all the way tight and you have rubber tensioners on too. Also if you are in conditions where you really need chains on a four wheel drive vehicle chances are pretty good that you are going to break the occasional cross link which will then flail on your inner fenders. For this reason it is best to be conservative with clearance when using chains.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Kevin, Jerry, Bill . . . ? Back when I had my '56 the CHP used to insist 4wd vehicles either have dedicated snow tires or chains on the front for trips up to the Lagunas do you guys know if this is still in force. Thanks Dave '01 TJ

Reply to
Dave Shannon

Approximately 10/22/03 16:45, Earle Horton uttered for posterity:

*DOES* anyone run cable chains on a TJ, ZJ, etc. My owners manual also says no deal, but there is definitely enough room for even the old fashioned clankers under there, with a tight cable chain can't imagine the problem.

UNLESS, the chain might booger up the anti-skid system or sensors... or is DC just blowing smoke?

Granted if I lived in nastier area, would probably just use nice northern european snow tires with full studs rather than the PITA of chains. Unless using a plow or such in a coupla feet of broken snow...

Is there really a good reason not to use them, other than keeping them in good repair and tightened?

Some older thinwall radials don't work with chains, but cable chains to my knowledge will work with any tire, and can't imagine even clankers hurting a multi-sidewall ply all terrain tire.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I was thinking of the inside of the fender wells, not the tire. We used to use tractor chains in the orchard in winter, and in my experience if you are going to use chains off road, then you'd better be prepared to deal with broken links. On road, I don't think that they are necessary, but on the other hand I too don't see where cable "chains" would be a problem.

I met a guy at the top of Snowqualmie Pass once with cable chains on the back of his front wheel drive car. He told me that the manufacturer said no chains on the front, but the Washington State Patrol said chains were required on at least on axle on the Pass, so he put them on the back!

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Going over Donner, the CHP just takes a quick look and waves a ZJ with Michelin M+S thru. I asked if they give any extra points for the severe winter logo, answer was no, not necessary as long as the tire is mud and snow and has good tread left.

Approximately 10/22/03 17:29, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III uttered for posterity:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Thanks guys, Dave

Reply to