what trail rated really means

Is this a trail rated Liberty?

http://68.49.40.190/videos/7.wmv

good fun.

Reply to
Rusted

On Tue, 3 May 2005 14:44:20 -0600, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by "Rusted" :

Yeah, but not "staircase rated". And the driver's rated "moron".

Reply to
Bob Casanova

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Who is the 18" tall person sitting on your fender? They look scared... real scared...

Reply to
Rusted

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Same girl? Thought that was illegal in California...not in Arkansas, where I grew up...

:-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

On the plus side, the ball joints stayed in it... they must have had the recall work done already.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

The Liverty is trail rated. Able to handle about 80% to 85% of what the Wrangler can do, but it is obvious that the driver has never been down a dirt path at all. BTW, that is the first time that I've seen a transfer case actually get dropped from a vehicle.

Brett

Reply to
Brett Ryan

LOL. My wife still jumps out when I get into something like that. I only wish she would take some pictures! To scared, I guess.

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

On Tue, 03 May 2005 14:43:52 -0700, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by L.W.(ßill) Hughes III :

Probably. But I wouldn't do it at such a low speed that I got high-centered, and if I could I'd take it at an angle. That's why I rated the driver "moron"; maybe "completely clueless" would have been better.

And I may have misinterpreted, but it looked to me like one of those "staircases made of crossways logs" things; hence the "staircase" comment.

Reply to
Bob Casanova

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That looks like he came down on the edge of a paved road. That looks like an ATV shortcut.

Mike

Bob Casanova wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

With all due respect to the other posters, I don't see how this driver did anything really wrong. (except for driving for a Liberty off road ) It looks like he took the obstacle a little faster that I might have in my TJ and got some air under his front wheels. Upon landing he toasted the transfer case. That said I've seen some testosterone fueled idiots in TJ's, YJ's, CJ's and XJ's abuse their vehicles a thousand times worse with little more than a broken U joint, if that, to show for their efforts.

It's a really sorry day when a simple hill climb kills a vehicle like this. The folks at Chrysler should hang their heads for ever even implying that the Liberty is good for anything more than driving to the mall on a snowy day.

Dean Shots of me and my friends "abusing" our Jeeps.

Bill

I was actually just about to post a similar message. I hurt my YJ FAR FAR worse than that a couple of times ...one in particular where I stalled and slid down about a 50 degree hill and into a rock that practically ate the underside of my Jeep (especially the exhaust system). Despite all of the hardships ...especially since I was a rookie offroader ...I never had any serious breakages like this. I think he took the hill a little fast but I'm still surprised at the extent of the damage done. The Liberty is "trail" ready ...whereby trail implies nothing more than a backlane or class 1 hiking trail.

Reply to
griffin

confutious say: An idiot and his money are soon parted... I'm sure I'll be broke soon.... he just has no four wheelin experience, and was clueless to the limits of his rig...$$$$$$$$

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III