Wheel spacers

Just installed a 4" BDS suspension lift on a 94 YJ 6cyl. The 33" tires are rubbing the leaf springs with rims from an '06 Wrangler. Booger. I'm looking at wheel spacers on the net and on ebay. The ones I'm finding on ebay are billet aluminum for about $50 less than the titanium alloy offered from offroad web sites. These web sites claim the aluminum spacers are vulnerable to losing studs and other failures. Any inputs from all the experts out there?? Marty

Reply to
Marty

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Hey Bill,

The spacers would be for my 94 Jeep Wrangler. I don't plan on racing it. In a turn, the front tires rub the leaf springs and I'm wondering which wheel spacers would give me the desired durability and clearance.

Marty

Reply to
Marty

Your still better off using wheels with the proper backspacing, but if you decide to go with spacers stay away from the aluminum ones as they are weaker and with your larger tires the lugs do experience a lot of force.

If your rubbing at full turn then all that needs to be done is to increase the stop with a washer or two.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Just a standard mis-use and idiot disclaimer:

"We use 2 different suppliers for our wheel spacers and adapters. The ones from OKOffroad are meant for off-road purposes. They can be driven on the street, but that is not their primary purpose. The others are from A-Dapt-It USA and are primarily made for street use. All wheel spacers and adapters will move the wheel out and thus apply extra strain on the hub and axle. This should normally not cause a problem but can if the spacers/adapters are not installed and maintained correctly. This means torquing them down correctly with a torque wrench! Installing them by hand or with an impact wrench will cause problems and can cause the wheel to come off or the hub/axle to break. Extreme heavy driving may also cause such problems. That would include extreme off-road driving and a lot of on-road driving with out maintaining them. We can not be responsible for any damage that is caused in such a manner as it is totally out of our control and voids the manufacturers warranties."

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

bubonic

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Sorry you missed the point.

Reply to
bubonic

Reply to
The Merg

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Ah, a discerning gentleman, to be sure !! Mopar to ya!

(My Intrepid is a Chrysler, tho', badge-engineered for everywhere outside the US)

Reply to
bubonic

Show of hands, who here drag races their Jeep?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

:) Just a couple of times back when I was doing IASCA and got an offer to go over to the strip after the competition and see what the blower could do.

Anyone can bracket race with a basic set of safety equipment and some $ for the entry fee. That's the beauty of it.

Somewhere I have a timeslip. I'll have to find it and scan it. Hopefully it's not one of those thermal ones that fades out. :/

Reply to
DougW

Here in southern Maryland, we have the Maryland International Raceway, better known as MIR or Budd's Creek. On Friday nights, I think, you can go and pay like five bucks to run the quarter mile. Man, do the rednecks around here love that place. I've never been, but it sure would be funny to take the 4-banger out there.

By the way, Doug, how did the blower do?

DougW wrote:

Reply to
The Merg

It worked well, probably could have ran a smaller pulley (more boost) and 101/105 octane and done better. Still trying to find that stupid slip with my times on it. Thought I posted it on my write-up... :[ This is irritating me, I wanted to keep that bit of history.

The 1/4 mile trap estimate was 287HP, that I wrote down in an email. The only email I found says it was 14 and change seconds or so and close to 100MPH. Wish I would have written the exact values. Betting it was about 14.5s @ 98mph.

Not bad given the vehicles weight 4052 + me + an extra hundred or so pounds in stereo gear. They told me it would have ran faster if I "took all that crap out" and only ran with 1/4 of a tank of fuel. Heck, guess I should take my stopwatch and go for a nice afternoon drive. :)

Since then I've done more work to the ZJ. Headers, cat, little bit of porting on the intake rail, and some minor electrics. Need to get down there and do it again. The place around here was called Thunder Valley, down South of Norman Oklahoma.

Reply to
DougW

Will the gentleman with the Hennessy SRT8 please stand up...

Matt Macchiarolo proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to