Wheel stud lubrication - good or bad?

No mention of that. Here is the entire "Installation Section" SERVICE PROCEDURES

WHEEL INSTALLATION

The wheel studs and nuts are designed for specific

applications. They must be replaced with equivalent

parts. Do not use replacement parts of lesser quality

or a substitute design. All aluminum and some steel

wheels have wheel stud nuts which feature an

enlarged nose. This enlarged nose is necessary to

ensure proper retention of the aluminum wheels.

NOTE: Do not use chrome plated lug nuts with

chrome plated wheels.

Before installing the wheel, be sure to remove any

build up of corrosion on the wheel mounting surfaces.

Ensure wheels are installed with good metal-to-metal

contact. Improper installation could cause loosening

of wheel nuts. This could affect the safety and handling

of your vehicle.

To install the wheel, first position it properly on

the mounting surface. All wheel nuts should then be

tightened just snug. Gradually tighten them in

sequence to the proper torque specification (Fig. 5).

Never use oil or grease on studs or nuts.

Reply to
billy ray

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The pizza came first.

Frank_v7.0

LOL !!!!!

Reply to
mabar

I have always sprayed my studs with a thin WD-40 type spray. I know specs call for "dry" torque, but I have always used WD-40 on studs and have had no problems.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Same here, Tom. I figure that as long as everything is torqued equally and in star-pattern stages AND you stay within the torque-range specs, you're probably okay. I go with the low-end of the specs just for good measure.

Worth mentioning: removing the factory lugs was a pain. They were on WAY too tight. I've seen this with oil filters as well; I changed one on a friend's PT Cruiser that was so tight that the filter wrench twisted the steel case right off the base. I had to use a pneumatic cutting wheel to get the rest off --tapping it loose with a hammer and screwdriver/chisel could not happen because the oil filter boss was made of aluminum.

Worse, the first time I tried to pull the steel oil filter cover off The Beater, it wouldn't budge, even when I hit it with a 125-psi. impact gun. I actually had to resort to a 13/16" wrench hooked to a 4 foot cheater bar to get that sucker to budge! Thought I was going to deform the oil pan at one point. I called the previous owner to find out who in hell put that thing on so tight, just out of curiousity.

Figures. The offending installer: JIFFY LUBE.

Reply to
JD Adams

Hi All,

I was about to put an extra transmission cooler on the TJ, in front of the radiator, and realised that the cooler was too big to slide between the open slots. I did a bit of research on the internet and all I got was that I would have to remove the radiator and discharge the a/c system to be able to have access to the back of the grille. Does anybody know of an easier way to just remove the front of the grille (i.e. the grille cover). I don't want to remove the whole assembly (which is what requires removal of the radiator and the a/c condenser).

Appreciate your ideas in advance. I am also putting a temp gauge in between to measure the transmission oil temp.

Thanks TW

--------- '01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/D44

265/75R16 BFG Muds, JKS Quick Discos, OME 2.5" Lift, 1" MML, 1" BL
Reply to
TW

Is there a way to slide it in from below? Seems like you could remove the flimsy splashguard under the rad pretty easily but I can't remember how much clearance there is.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I have already had a look, but the bottom part of the grille frame makes is not open. Any other ideas?

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

I think you might have to resign yourself to taking off the grille.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Looks like it that way. As soon as the rain stops, I'll start taking the radiator off and see if I can wiggle the cooler past the condensor without discharging the a/c system. I am just surprised that so few people actually run extra cooler on Wranglers for the auto transmission. There were tons of write ups on other Jeeps.

Thanks for your time (and replying to my question). TW

Reply to
TW