Wheeling in Japan

I'm headed over again the middle of Dec. for about a month, and something I've wondered about since my first trip is the "wheeling" opportunities. Now I haven't seen it all by any stretch but what country side I have seen has lead me to believe there are two types of wheeling terrain. The flat as a pancake mall wheeler type terrain and the "you might as well pitch your 4-by and buy a billy goat" type of terrain. I'm not terribly optimistic as on my two past trips I saw exactly one off-road quality wheeler and that was a Toyota truck (pretty nice actually). Seems to me that was in the Osaka area, but possibly Kyoto.

Anyhow, I'm not really looking to do any wheeling on this trip as I'm pretty sure it's going to be ate up with family visits and what not, but I AM thinking about relocating there for a while and I'd hate to have to give up one of my favorite pastimes for a few years.

Anybody out there have more extensive time in Japan that might be able to shed some light?

Reply to
T. Greening