Why do Wranglers cost so much (compared to liberty)

Thinking about a new vehicle.

I went to carsdirect.com and priced a pretty loaded liberty limited (auto). All options but chrome wheels, engine block heater and u-connect blue tooth phone thingy.

MSRP/Invoice/Buy prices = $29,955/28,240/26,640

Did same thing with a Sahara TJ auto. Hard top only, no ABS (can't seem to get them with auto), no block heater.

MSRP/Invoice/Buy prices = $28,035/25,805/25,205

For about $1400 the liberty gives you:

Modern SOHC V-6 Engine (Better MPG/HP Same Torque) Same Transmission Select-Trac (vs Command-Trac)

Side Air Bags

6 CD Changer Heated Seats Leather Seats 6 way power seats Power heated folding mirrors Overhead Console (Homelink,tire pressure monitor, trip computer) Anti-Lock 4 wheel disks Power Sunroof Power Windows Power Locks

The Sahara wins with stronger rear axle D44 vs

8.25" corporate axle (god that sounds awful) Better tires/wheels.

My questions is: if DC can give me all that *stuff* on a liberty, why does a sahara cost so much without any modern features?

Sure I like the wrangler better, but it seems like DC is screwing us badly with the price. Am I missing something here?

BTW, any changes to Wranglers for '05? (Other than the Unlimited thing)

Reply to
Charlie Dellacona

Wranglers have solid axles (no IFS). They are selling the name also. The Libby is new. The Wrangler has been around for years. The wrangler is for off road. The Libby is for occasional off road. Most of that which you have listed is absolutly useless to many of the people here. We bought our Wranglers for off road rigs, not for cushy comfort in and about town. Your other big thing with the Wranglers....the tops are made to come off! Who needs a/c when you can go topless????!!!!!

Reply to
jbjeep

I know the stuff isn't useful to offroaders, but DC does get it for free either.

Why you bought your jeep isn't really the point.

My point is the price comparison shows wranglers are badly overpriced. As you said, they are selling the name! I was wondering if other people were aware of it and ticked off at DC for it?

--Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Dellacona

just shows how weak and little the liberty is, made of plastic and they can afford the extra,s

the Tj is made of metal and can hold its own.

topless????!!!!!

Reply to
herman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The Liberty is heavier than the TJ ; yes TJs are over priced.

Dave Milne

Charlie:

The plain and simple fact is that the Wrangler is WAY overpriced. But, the law of supply and demand is such that we Jeepers keep buying them, so DC can keep charging these high prices.

That being said, I love my Wrangler.

Tom

snip

Reply to
mabar
6 speed manual for 05 :)))))

Reply to
Paw

Reply to
twaldron

Primarily, it's we got it you want it. Many car executives have said for years that direct build cost is only tangentially related to sale price.

Reply to
Ted Azito

Yep, with an extra low "crawler" first gear.

snip

Reply to
mabar

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

...and prepare for worse to come. Dunno about all areas, but here in one of the worst job market areas in the dot.compost days, the vehicles aren't gathering nearly as much dust on the dealer lots as they were even just a few months ago. And definitely not as long as just a year ago by a long shot. Local dealer is already warning that Hemi equipped Grand Cherokees may be in short supply, as a coupla other models are already taking up pretty much the full production run of hemi's.

mabar proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

with the price. Am I missing something here?>

No, it seems you've fairly well nailed it! Look, With the exception of the TJ and it's variants, DC in general has a bunch of cars & trucks that are virtually sales proof without throwing incentives at them.

Liberty is generally considered a cruel joke among Jeepers and will soon be joined by the 2005 Grand Cherokee when it gets its new independent front suspension. TJ at that point will be the only Jeep with live axles front & rear, and thre's a good chance that will disappear whren the '06 comes out. At that point the Jeep brand will become just another poser among the soccer-mom-mobile SUV crowd, and all of us with older "real" Jeeps will become collectors.

Reply to
Jerry McG

A better way of stating the original question would be "Why do Wranglers cost so much more compared to EVERYTHING?" TJs have to be an extreme money-maker for Dumler.

Reply to
j carter

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Does that mean you own a TJ. Bill? Maybe two?

Reply to
j carter

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

[...]