Why stretch a CJ7?

Why would you want to stretch a wheelbase on a CJ7?

Wheelbase stretched to 101" (7" over stock)

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

L.W.(ßill)

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Exactly....

--James

PS - Longer rear drive shaft = lift

Reply to
RocknTJ

Probably did not stretch the frame, more likely they moved the rear axle further back.

Reply to
Rusted

I don't see it either, but it is listed in the specs as being stretched. The spring perches on the frame appear to be in the factory locations.

Reply to
CRWLR

Smoother ride!? I don't think ride quality is very high on his list of priorities.

Reply to
CRWLR

CRWLR did pass the time by typing:

mebby not but with a longer wheelbase towing is improved and you can carry more beer in the back.

Reply to
DougW

Are the pins on Waggy springs 2.5" off center? So if you had the offset at both ends it might give you 5". There is only "so far" you can go in the front doing this without having the pitman arm run into the cross over on the steering.

I don't see the stretch either.

--James

Reply to
RocknTJ

Seems like an awful lot of work to go to when they could have just used the 103.5" Scrambler frame and all the off-the-shelf parts that come with it. It doesn't seem that the extra 3" should have been a deal killer.

Some folks just like to do things the hard way?

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I suspect this one rides around on a trailer, so towing it is not a ocnsideration, but the added beer capacity is worth thinking about.

Reply to
CRWLR

Extremely cool rig. I'm beginning to notice a trend on trick TJ's where the rear coils are being tossed in favor of leaf packs. See Kilby's site for another example. Apprently this solves the tendency for TJ long arm suspensions to rear-steer, etc.

Reply to
Jerry McG

"Jerry McG" : :

: Extremely cool rig.

Yup. He did a nice job on the diesel conversion too!

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

In that case I'll re-think that leaf conversion!

Reply to
Jerry McG

I don't see how they could do that. The end of the spring pack is already out at the rear cross member on a -7, no?

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

: > > Wheelbase stretched to 101" (7" over stock) : > >

: > >

: > > Bill : > >

: > >

: > >

: >

: >

: >

: >

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

He extended the rear of the frame and used stock YJ spring hangers at the front of the spring pack. (This is a very cool rig!)

: > >

Reply to
Jerry McG