Wierd A/C problem, 97 ZJ

Came out of Home Despot this afternoon and got in the Jeep and the A/C blower was going full blast with the ignition off and the key out.

Started it up and the blower stopped. Ran the controls through their paces, and the blower seemed to behave as expected. Turned off the ignition, and the blower shut off, there was a pause of a second or two, then it started up full blast.

A/C controls had no effect, A/C turned off, ignition off, the blower still started up.

Was going to the movies, pulled the fuse so the battery wouldn't run down. When I came out I put the fuse back in, there was a little spark (it was dark by then) and the blower started back up, as before.

When I got home the problem seemed to have gone away.

It being obviously an intermittent, troubleshooting it by conventional means is going to be a bear.

Anybody seen this before and have an idea what to do about it?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Sounds like a stuck relay.

Don't have a schematic for the 97.

Blower running even if the climate control is off, or do you have an automagic climate thingy?

Reply to
DougW

Blower didn't run with the climate control off, until I turned off the ignition, at which point, after a few seconds delay, it started up.

Reply to
J. Clarke