Willys Questions..

Hello, I am new to jeeps, so please excuse any stupid ?'s

I am in the market for a jeep cj. Mainly for hunting /offroad.

I found 2 in my price range.

fist one is a 1979 CJ5 6cyl 3 speed 67000 original miles. Interior is nice, soft top is ok, no tears. Body is rough. Rear body mounts are rough also. $1500.00

second one I found is 1961 or 63, owner not sure.Willys. It is a 4 cyl, 3 speed with plow package. Not sure of the miles either. Has original hard top( fiberglass??). Body had some repairs made to it. Runs good. $2000 neg.

I think it would be cool to get the willys, smaller and can go more places. Is there a soft top available for the willys.

What one is the better choice. I would assume the Willys would hold its value more?

Thanks in advance for the help.

John

Reply to
John D

Jim85CJ

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Buy both you can sell which ever one you dont like and probably make good profit

Reply to
ISellJeeps

The '63 is low geared and good off road. The four cylinder doesn't have tons of power so you won't be breaking stuff unless you drive like a mad man. It will only run about 50 mph and the stock brakes are kind of weak.

The '79 is also a good choice. This probably has T150 trans, Dana 20 t'case and rear end gearing in the 3.73 range. This will be more challenging offroad but possible. It will run down the road at highway speeds. With front discs it will stop well.

For the money, either would be a good deal. Parts are readily available for both

for example). My preference woudl be the '63. I like to offset differentials front and rear coupled with the low gearing. If I had long highway drives, the '79 would be the choice. BTW...the '79 is only 3" longer that the '63. I hope my ramblings help.

Reply to
cj573cj5

Thank you to everyone who has helped clear my head. I do have pictures of the 79 if anyone wants to them. Didn't know if I could post them here or not..

Reply to
John D

What is a 61 or 63 willys called? CJ2, CJ3, ???

Reply to
John D

If a civilian Willys jeep, you are probably taling about a CJ-3A (low hood) or CJ-3B (high hood)

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

'83 CJ-7 '46 Bantam BT3C '87 Ford F250 4x4 Diesel

Robert Bills

This is a text group, there is a basically empty binary 4x4 group called alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4.

Post away!

Mike

John D wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
John D

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

What did you post it with?

My ISP didn't pick it up, but it did pick up the replies to it.

Mike

John D wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Went to look at the Willys today. It is a 1961 CJ3B, Has a PTO on it. There are 4 shifters on the floor. It is a 3 speed. It has a fiberglass top, no roll bar. It is an orange color. 70k original miles. I think I am going to hold out for a better looking CJ5.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

I posted the pics of 79 with outlook express. When I go to the group, they are there...

Reply to
John D

I dunno. If I were choosing between a CJ-3B and an older CJ-5, with the CJ-3B being basically sound but in need of cosmetics and the "usual" repairs necessary on an older jeep, I would go with the 3B every time. They are the classic "real jeep." Although some think the 3B is the "ugly duckling," I have always been partial to them. (Used to have a '54 CJ-3B.)

In fact, I've been keeping my eye open for a solid CJ-6 frame (101" wheelbase) with the idea of lengthening a repro CJ-3B body to fit and using a Dana 44 front and Dana 60 rear axle with a 5.0 Ford motor and auto tranny. (I guess you might call the end result a CJ-6B.)

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

'83 CJ-7 '46 Bantam BT3C '87 Ford F250 4x4 Diesel

Robert Bills

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Great site. Its been a resource for my Bantam trailer rehab.