Winch mounting plate layout - Anyone have one?

What a happy day. My Ex husband and his wife came to visit a few weeks ago. They took our littlest Jeeper home for three weeks and he just brought him home last night. While they were here he told me that he had a Warn winch he would give me for my Jeep. What a guy!

Last night, the winch came with him. It's a Warn M8000, complete. Only been used twice.

I've been looking at mounting plates and find that they are a bit pricey. Since the hubster is a helluva fabricator I am hoping that someone has a layout they would be willing to share so that we don't have to reinvent the wheel (so to speak)

Thanks in advance :¬D

Reply to
Kate

Kate,

If you go to a 4x4 shop and look at one, you'll understand. It sits on top of the frame rails on front of the grille, and bolts down to the frame. Center the winch on the place, mark the winche's holes, and drill. Bolt and be happy.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Thanks Carl. I'll go in to town tomorrow and see what I can find. Not much in the area for 4x4 shops, and the ONE that we have carries very little in stock.

Kate

If you go to a 4x4 shop and look at one, you'll understand. It sits on top of the frame rails on front of the grille, and bolts down to the frame. Center the winch on the place, mark the winche's holes, and drill. Bolt and be happy.

Carl

Reply to
Kate

I will try to find you a picture. The one I bought was 3/16" steel from warn.

Reply to
Carl S

I have a Warn 8274 mounted on what was a warn F150 mount that I just cut to fit my CJ, I could snap a pic and send it to you if you like. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Thanks Greg, every little bit will help!

Reply to
Kate

One thing on mine is the mounting bolts fit into a stock frame threaded hole and one passed through the frame with a tube and washer setup so it couldn't crush it.

Mine is a CJ7 though so the design wouldn't likely be the same, but then... I could also snap off a photo and email it if it would help.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Way cool. congrats!

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

I made my own and wish I had spent the bucks for the OEM. They'll fit right and be rated properly.

Reply to
engineer

Here are a couple links for you:

Chris

Kate,

The proper plate is only $100..

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Hi Kate,

I have the warn mount plate and a warn XD9000i on the front of my 05 rubicon. If you wish I can take measurements and detailed pics. Let me know, unless someone else comes through.

Gotta hit the sack. Take care,

Reply to
ULB

Thanks to everyone for the words of advice.

Hubby looked at it and tells me he is planning to just build me a front bumper (much like the ARB) that has the winch mount incorporated into it.

So, what would have been a half day project, likely will not see the light of day until next spring the way he procrastinates- damnit.

Heh.... I'll get him.... I'll strap it on with Zip ties just to goad him into it.

Thanks again eveyone, as soon as he gets it built, I'll post some pics. just don't hold your breath.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Just food for thought. My dad welds alot for his pleasure. He has built me a steering box protector, both front and rear of his bumpers on his grand wagoneer, his rear rack, and my gas can holder on the rear of my garvin bumper.

Welding is alot of fun etc, but I will say this. With the cost of steel today, you might actually be better off buying one from a vendor, just in case it turns out poorly. The cost of doing it twice will start to hurt and push it more over the cost of a mass produced bumper.

BTW, if you still want more detailed pics of my warn mount (with tape meaure in place), let me know. Glad I checked, I was just about to take pics. :)

Take care,

Reply to
ULB

Thanks for the links Chris, great info on those pages.

K.

Reply to
Kate

Yes, absolutely, I would be happy to have them.

I suppose I should add here that hubs is a retired heavy equipment mechanic and has been a professional welder all of his life. I agree with you on the price of steel. My thoughts are that since I wanted an ARB bumper that it doesn't make sense to buy/make one and then have to replace it in the near future with the bumper. I'm just SO DANG IMPATIENT! You know how women are with their new toys - heh.

Hubs is also going to build my rails and the rest of my under body armor. The $$ is something of a hold up. I've been thinking that I should go back to work just so I can buy Jeep parts.

I'll email you so you have my address to send the photos, and thanks again!

Kate

Just food for thought. My dad welds alot for his pleasure. He has built me a steering box protector, both front and rear of his bumpers on his grand wagoneer, his rear rack, and my gas can holder on the rear of my garvin bumper.

Welding is alot of fun etc, but I will say this. With the cost of steel today, you might actually be better off buying one from a vendor, just in case it turns out poorly. The cost of doing it twice will start to hurt and push it more over the cost of a mass produced bumper.

BTW, if you still want more detailed pics of my warn mount (with tape meaure in place), let me know. Glad I checked, I was just about to take pics. :)

Take care,

Reply to
Kate

I built an integrated 2"x5" rectangular tube bumper and winch mount that I have been quite happy with. The tube is even tested for pressure in case I need a small air tank. Back bumper is the same except it has the

2" receiver hitch build in (not hung below).

I could send some c> Thanks to everyone for the words of advice.

Reply to
RoyJ

Out of curiosity, what is the psi the bumper can handle and can it inflate 4 tires at 10 PSI to say 25lb?

Reply to
ULB

Reply to
RoyJ