window on cherokee just falls down

I just pulled the driver side door panel off my 98 Cherokee to see why the window just falls down. The motor works as I can hear it running when I flick the switch on the door, but no window action.

So I pulled out my 'sort of a manual' Haynes manual and of course nothing about the motor in there. I can push the window up and down the window channel and all looks fine, but something with the motor is not making it work as it should. Maybe when there's more light tomorrow, too dark outside now, I can see a bit more of what's going on.

Any help on what's going on much appreciated.

BTW - Any recommendations as to what is the best manual out there for cherokees?

Reply to
wizumwalt

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

If I had to go with a manual I guess it would be an AX15 but I prefer AW4 automatic.

Seriously, your best choice would be the "Factory Service Manual" from the dealer or another reseller. This will run you around $100.

Some manufacturers have supplement manuals such as Fuel injection, ABS, Air Conditioning, Electrical etc. These manuals are great for shops that specialize because there contents include information for many models. For your purpose, the FSM would be best because it has everything in one 1000+ page book specific to you vehicle. It's worth the money if you're going to keep and maintain your Jeep for a while.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

Bill is the plastic do hickey located in the motor?? I had the same thing happen on my Fox Lots-To-Do ( midsize LTD) and the problem was the plastic do hickey in the motor (if you search ebay for "ford ltd window" there should be at least one guy selling new dohickies)

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

If the window free falls, it's a disconnect from the motor to the regulator - likely the plastic gear. If the window stops mid-way and the motor still turns, it's the worm shaft thingy inside the pipe thingy. Your LTD (Likely To Die) probably has a conventional style regulator with bars (no worm shaft thingy) and failures would occur in the motor 99% of the time.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

Reply to