Wiper Motor or Combo Switch?

My neighbor has a '95 YJ, and the windshield wiper motor will not turn on. The rear window wiper works OK, and the windshield washer sprays water. Only the windshield wiper will not operate, to the best of my knowledge. The owner claims that all other systems work properly.

I can't find a fuse in the fuse box next to the clutch pedal, nor in the fuse box under the hood near the battery. Since the washer motor works, and my suspicion is that the washer and the wiper share a fuse, my best guess is that the wiper motor or the combo switch has bitten the dust.

Can somebody help me shave an hour or so off of the troubleshooting time by confirming my guess?

Thanks,

Reply to
CRWLR

We found the wiper linkage is broken, it is very likely that the wiper motor has simply gone around and is mashed up against the linkage ...

Reply to
CRWLR

Now the windshield won't drop.

I can't get the bars of the roll cage to come off. The torx bit twisted on the first bolt we tried.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

That's nice, but nothing is broken off or stripped beyond serviceability. Yet. I think the bolts will come out if they are heated up a little.

We gave up, and my neighbor's son had to go home. The best we could do for him was set him up with a bottle of Rain X and some towels, and hope he didn't encounter anything more than mild misting on his way home.

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

CRWLR

I would run a booster cable from the battery negative to the windshield frame to verify the ground circuit before ripping anything apart.

Mine up and quit because the windshield hinges decided not to want to be the ground anymore.

The washer and wiper do share a fuse for power, but they have different grounds.

Mike

CRWLR wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

We actually found an obvious mechanical problem that requires gaining access to the motor and linkage. While repairing the broken linkage parts, we can double check the ground. My guess today is that the motor is simply bound up on the broken linkage.

Reply to
CRWLR