Wipers/Radio Problem

Hi

I replaced my alternator and battery a few months ago because my '97 Cherokee Sport wouldn't hold a charge, and occasionally upon starting the wipers and radio wouldn't work. Also stalled once when I was driving... scary.

The alternator/battery replacement took care of the problem where the battery wouldn't hold a charge, but I still have the intermittent problem where the wipers and radio don't work. However, if I turn off the vehicle and then turn it on again, the wipers and radio are usually on. Because I live in a rainy area, I always have to check to make sure they are on when I start up to go somewhere as I don't want to get stuck in a driving situation with my wipers unavailable.

If it starts and they are working from the start, they don't go off or anything. It's good as long as they start when I crank the engine up.

Any ideas?

Thanks, "uhh ohh"

Reply to
uhh-ohh

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

And clean all your ground connections.

Reply to
billy ray

Sorry, I'm not too good with this stuff, hopefully by learning little by little I'll save myself a few dollars here and there.

Can you please tell me what it is that you think is wrong with the ignition switch, and what you might suggest I can do about it?

Thanks.

Reply to
uhh-ohh

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I would first be cleaning the ground strap that runs from the rear of the engine head to the firewall. A bad one will cause your symptoms and the alternator/battery issue depending on where the body steals it's ground from. (the battery only gets half charged which can kill it)

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Wow, what a lot of great help. Thank you to everyone that posted. I'll try these solutions and will hopefully have a chance to post again and let you know what worked!

Reply to
uhh-ohh