wiring a signal switch in a 56 willys

I am wiring the signal lights into a 56 willys pu. The spartan signal switch has seven wires coming out. 4 go to front and back, left and right turn lights, two go to the flasher which leaves one wire for the brake lights. This wire (brown) shows continuity with the two rear turn light wires when the signal switch is in the neural position. It shows continuity with left light when the signal switch is in right turn position and opposite when switch is in left turn position. This is all as it should be except that when I wire it in to the truck, it does not work correctly. I have a functioning brake switch on the master cylindar but when I connect this to the brown lead into the switch, nothing happens. I cant get the brake lights to work and dont know what to do next. It is all the more maddening because I have been four years working on this truck, I am almost finished but I cant go anywhere until I get this issue worked out. Anybody got an idea - otherwise, Im thinking of joining a monestary an renouncing all material posessions.

Reply to
Alan Haley

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Alan, can't help with your specific problem but here's some links that may help you on your way to en-Lighten-ment :).

An really Really REALLY neat explanation of how they work-

Typical early jeep wiring diagram for signals-

A message from The Good Doctor on identifying which wire is which on which widgit-

A search on the Willys Tech Google list (I'm shocked & amazed you're not a member :( ) turns up a lot of messages from people who have been where you're going (either Left or Right ;) )

Good Luck, Howard

Howard Eisenhauer