WJ Brakes Class Action Approved in Florida

Just thought I'd pass on some info from the Automotive News. A judge in Florida has allowed a class action suit against Daimler Chrysler to proceed. The plaintiff is the owner of an '02 WJ Grand Cherokee with the infamous front brake judder problem. He and his attorney claim DC notified dealers via TSB of the problem but has tried to avoid helping consumers by denying there is a design issue, and by reducing warranty coverage. (DC reduced brakes warranty coverage to 12 months / 12k miles a few years ago.)

Anyway, if you're among the many that have had this issue pop up on your WJ you may want to do some searches and stay abreast of this issue. FWIW, I had an '01 with the problem. In '03 DC replaced the front calipers and rotors FOC under warranty with '02 & later spec units. However, DC has denied coverage for many other folks who have gotten stuck with big bills to fix this issue. The problem seems to stem from the composite rotor design DC used on these & other vehicles to save weight & cost. One fix has been to throw the factory composite rotors away and replace them with NAPA or other aftermarket full cast rotors. Not sure how the lawsuit will handle this.

Reply to
SoK66

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

When my brakes were replaced last year the catalogues listed both the Teves and Akebono calipers and gave the description that one was black and the other silver to differentiate them.

The problem arose that my silver calipers appeared black as they had been underneath the WJ covered in brake dust and grime for 3 years...

The first set had to be returned.....

Reply to
billy ray