Wrangler & antilock brakes

Just got back from a great time at Camp Jeep. As hoped for, it was very educational, fun, and informative. It rejuvenated my interest in a Wrangler (we have a Grand Cherokee); as expected .

  1. Been "building" Wranglers at Jeep's web site, trying to create the "right" one for us. Can get everything I want (auto tranny, cruise, A/C) except antilock brakes. I'm evidently making some other selection that eliminates and prohibits antilock brakes as an option. Can't tell if it's the tires (30") or the axle selection, rear trak-lock, or what. Can somebody tell me what configuration options will preclude antilock brakes, and why? The local dealer has about 6 new Rubicons, some with AT, but they don't come with antilock brakes either. I really want the antilocks. Should I forego that requirement and give up on them, or build (properly) to please?
  2. With 30" tires, can I settle for the 3.07 axle ratio, or do I need the
3.37 or 4.10?
  1. Any reason to wait for the 2004 models to show up? The dealer has 15
2003s, so I believe he's motivated to make a good deal on those, that he may not otherwise make on new 2004s. Thanks, much! Steve
Reply to
Steve Moline

Not to belabor the obvious but if your gonna make a deal with what's on the dealers lot why are you trying to "build" one?

We had a discussion about ABS last night as the kids were shooting fireworks and concluded that we thought it was the rear limited slip diff on the Wrangler that results in no ABS although why this should be the case was not obvious as other vehicles with limited slip diffs have ABS. Maybe it's the "type" of lim slip? No Rubicons come with ABS.

Reply to
Paul Cordes

Using anti lock brakes off road is a 'real' good way for your Jeep to become WAY too friendly with trees. Trees bite.

Mike

Steve Mol>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I just put a switch in line with the ABS fuse. Works fine. Been thinking about using a relay tied to the 4WD low indicator lamp. Should be simple enough.

Reply to
DougW

Good info. I knew there had to be a good reason; now I know what it/they is/are. Thanks for the rapid feedback.

To answer Paul's question about "why build one" if I'm looking on the lot, the answer is that I want to assemble the optimal configuration and arrangement of options to suite my interests, and then see if any similarly-configured vehicles exist in stock. Absent the now-resolved ABS question, the answer is: there are. Still don't know whether waiting for a

2004 model makes any difference, but I'm not aware of any major changes for YJ in '04.

Thanks, folks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Moline

Wranglers with Dana 44's are not available from the factory with ABS. If you order the 30" tire wheel group, you will get the rear 44. If you order the 30" tire/wheel group and ABS it will substitute the Dana 35 rear axle, if they are still doing that...that's what happened with my 2000.

Since the Rubicons have Dana 44's ABS is not available on them.

The ABS only kicks in at low speeds, so if you are on the trail going fast enough to activate the ABS, you're probably going too fast. And it can be disabled by pulling tha ABS fuse anyhow.

No reason to wait for a 2004, IMHO. Dealers want to get the 2003's off the lots so you might get a better deal.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Oops. Should read "ABS kicks in at high speeds." Meaning at trail speeds the ABS won't activate.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Now that 'really' depends on the trail there eh.

On our ravines, we need to be floored in 2nd or 3rd to crest them, then it is straight down with trees or cliffs or one skinny assed ATV trail on the other side. Gotta be able to lock the brakes.

I also have watched a TJ calmly roll on into a tree because his brakes would not lock on something like a 65 deg down hill. He pulled the fuse and made it the second time without hitting any trees.

Mike

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain