WTB 3.73 ring and pinion

I need a good used ring and pinion for a dana 35c with 3.73 ratio.

The cross pin on mine came out and tore up everything. My guy had hoped to save me some $$$ by re-using the ring and pinion since it only had one minor chip on one of the pinion teeth.

Well, is growls quite bad and when they listened with their electronic mic, they could here the tick tick of that tooth.

So I think I the pinion bearings are shot, and I need new gears. They will use gears that I supply, but if they get them for me, they go through the local dealer. They want over $400. for gears.

If someone in the boston area has re-geared a dana 35c I would like to purchase your old 3.73 gear set.

I would like to get them this weekend if possible, so I can get this whole mess over with.

If no replies this weekend, can someone recommend a source that can get them to me ASAP.

Thanks Dan H.

riderdan AT yahoo.com

Reply to
dan

It sounds as if you lost your cross pin, and then the shop put things back together without replacing the pinion bearings. Correct me if this is not true. Why would you go back to that shop? I don't know, maybe you convinced them to do the job on the cheap. It almost never works out, unless you are as lucky as I am. Even I have a bad run now and then.

Most any local auto parts store, NAPA, Autozone, Carquest, etc. should be able to get that gear set cheaper than the Jeep dealer.

The 35c has a reputation as a cheap axle. If you cook one that bad you are likely to continue to have problems with it, no matter how many parts and dollars you throw at it.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

good luck

Chris

What's that Lassie? You say that Earle Horton fell down the old rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:51:31 -0600:

Yes, that's it. Killed the tranny too. I'm lucky I could drive it home. I lost 3rd and 4th gear, had to limp home with just 1,2, 5 and reverse.

They thought that we could get away with it, so I said OK. Turns out I was wrong. But anyway, they will not charge me for the labor, just the parts.

But can they get it by Monday? I will ask around on saturday, but if someone in the area has swapped to different gears and doesn't need their old ones, I could use them.

I know, too late now. If I had it to do over again, I would get a whole new axle assembly.

Reply to
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that c fell down the old rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:18:02 -0500:

Thanks

Reply to
dan

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

What's that Lassie? You say that dan fell down the old rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Fri, 19 Oct 2007 21:52:30 GMT:

I took some picks of the damage.

The cross pin(not shown) was broken in half. Only one half of the carrier is broken.

When I was on my to 'Vegas several years ago, I noticed an oil leak. I went to the local dealer and had them fix it. When they went to pull the axles, they found that the cross pin retaining bolt's head was snapped off. They had to drill out the pin and replace it. I think they did a bad job of it and didn't leave much threads in the carrier.

Reply to
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that L.W. (Bill) Hughes III fell down the old rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:53:58 -0700:

They already replaced the carrier, carrier bearings, and spider gears. Came as a unit. See my other reply to get a link to some pics.

But then I would want a 44 in the front too. And then a better T case. At that point I should just by a rubicon. If fact I am looking for an'05 Rubicon unlimited now. But I still need to get this one back together.

Reply to
dan

Dan if your rear end is growling, and it is not from Mexican food, then all your internal moving parts are swimming in a soup of gear oil and ring and pinion chips. This is not good, even for the parts that were new a week ago. Depending on how long you drove it, the whole thing could be junk by now.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

What's that Lassie? You say that Earle Horton fell down the old rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Fri, 19 Oct 2007 20:11:03 -0600:

I think the growling is from bad pinion bearings. And I'm not driving it any more. It did sound better when the broken carrier was in though. The pinion took a hell of a shot when the cross pin came out. Still can't believe I made it home.

Pics:

H.

Reply to
dan

That bearing tells us it was history long before the lock bolt vibrated out. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I would say that you were, indeed, lucky. Last time I lost a cross pin, it snuggled up between the ring gear and pinion in an old Scout with 4:11's doing about 60. Damn near lost my teeth on the steering wheel! I had to crawl under and drop the rear drive shaft so I could get home with front wheel drive. Sure made for some rough riding rear tires fro a while...

Reply to
Will Honea

I would have cone for a bone yard one here and been done with it.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan