XJ ABS, does yours suck too?

I have an '01 Cherokee and the ABS is simply awful. I've never been a fan of ABS anyway, which is why I used to drive old Audis with ABS that could be turned off by a dashboard switch. I've found that my ABS kicks in fairly often in the wet, on gravel, even on dry pavement in somewhat quick (not panic) stops.

It did this with the 225/75R15s that came on it, and is just as bad with the 30X9.50R15s that are on it now. I wondered if the 30s (actually 29.1s) would make it worse but it's just the same, which means still shitty, but not more so.

Is this a case of "they all do that" or is mine particularly lame?

The '89 I had before had somewhat weak brakes but I had more confidence in those than I do in my newer model.

Your thoughts?

-Matt- "..."

Reply to
matt borland

I dunno ... but abs was meant only for dry pavement ... bizarre, eh. And is definitely not meant for off-road e.g. loose gravel etc use. Maybe just pull the fuse?

Reply to
bowgus

ABS does not work during 'normal' braking.

Would your braking habits be considered abnormal? Otherwise you have a problem in your ABC controller.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Billy Ray did pass the time by typing:

That or dirty connector/sensor damage. Particualraly the front wheel sensors and the ABS computer connector. Just a few millivolts (still within spec) will cause ABS application at slow speed on a normal stop.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
philthy