XJ and Dakota Springs

Having read a few articles on using the Dakota rear springs to lift an XJ, I was wondering if anyone here has done this.

I have access to a few wrecked Dakotas and have Bronco front coils. The

1990 XJ is strictly a trail rig. So far it made it through the summer and if it makes it through the winter, I'll be happy. It sees very little pavement, so on road handling isn't an issue. I am currently running 31" tires (fenders cut) and I am looking to go to 32" or maybe 33" tires.

thanks chris

Reply to
gosling1

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

This is one of the links I have been checking out. It looks workable. Just wonder if there are any hidden problems with this set up. A little more research and I just may jump into it and see what happens. :-)

chris

Reply to
gosling1

Hi Chris,

I haven't done it but I know someone who has. Cheap and easy and it works. Cutting the eyes off the Dakota pack and strapping it under the top leaf of the stock XJ pack nets 4+ inches. With your cut fenders that's plenty lift to clear 33" tires.

You might want to consider using fewer Dakota leaves in your packs and making up the difference with longer shackles such as those from an MJ for improved flex.

A few other bits you'll need: YJ slip yoke (longer travel on the output shaft), 0.75" tcase drop (4 longer bolts and a bag of washers), extended bump stops, possibly brake line extensions.

Steve

gosl> Having read a few articles on using the Dakota rear springs to lift an XJ, I

Reply to
Steve