XJ Cherokee oil leak

Hi all, I took my 95 Cherokee out on a 250 mile drive this weekend, when I got to my destination, I noticed the smell of oil, oil was all underneath the Jeep and spots on the rear window and tailgate, the oil seemed to be coming from the back of the sump as in rear main seal, it hadn't lost much oil according to the dip stick so I just drove home as normal, when I got home it seems as if the oil leak has gone away, and in the couple days since there is no sign of an oil leak(although there has been a seep since the car was less than two years old), seems weird to me but I have a feint memory of someone saying that a faulty pcv valve could cause oil to blow past the rear main seal, could this be true, anyone out there have experience with this?? would be a lot easier to replace the pcv valve than pulling the sump

Thanks Glenn

95 XJ Cherokee 74 CJ5
Reply to
Glenn Wainwright

It's more likely to be the valve cover leaking at the rear of the head. Also check your oil filter mount.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

yes, check the oil filter mout 2 o rings john

Reply to
johnny

Thanks guys, yeah I have resealed the valve cover and put new o rings on the filter housing earlier this year, its not leaking from there, the only thing that has me stumped is that there was so much oil under the car and no sign of it leaking now, pretty cool that it magically seems to have fixed itself lol, but I know it must do it again sooner or later Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Wainwright

Yep, I would put a new PCV valve in for sure. I have seen this quite often.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Are you getting any oil spits into the air filter?

If so, then the CCV is likely almost blocked up.

There is no PCV on that one I don't believe, just a CCV. It is a small tube coming off the rear top valve cover grommet. The grommet can get plugged up, or more likely the plastic tub itself. Mine was plugged, so I took it off and couldn't blow through it. I soaked it in carb cleaner for a while, then reamed it out with a chunk of flexible insulated wire. 12 ga. I think it was.

Here is a link on the parts. DC does sell the replacement kits if you don't feel like doing the clean.

Mike

Glenn Wa>

Reply to
Mike Romain