XJ Door Hinge - I'm in trouble!

I'm trying to replace the hinge pin on my '92 XJ... left front lower pin WILL NOT come out! I've removed the header panel...fender...door for access and no luck. I ended up cutting the pin from the hinge but the top and bottom is still stuck in there... any ideas?

Tried beating it out in the vice... nothing Tried drilling it out in the drill press... not even scratching it.

I'm going to try some heat tomorrow but I have a feeling I'll be ordering a new hinge. Damn 20 minute job will have me out of commission for days!

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

LOL Brian, good luck. Did you try soaking it in a vat of penetrating oil like pb blaster? KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

We can't get PB in Canada (to the best of my knowledge)... I have doused it in WD40 but I'm going to get some good stuff tomorrow. I'm going to need it for the lift install anyway. Might go doorless tomorrow if it's not raining LOL.

-Brian

: > Tried beating it out in the vice... nothing : > Tried drilling it out in the drill press... not even scratching it. : >

: > I'm going to try some heat tomorrow but I have a feeling I'll be ordering : a : > new hinge. Damn 20 minute job will have me out of commission for days! : >

: > -Brian : >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Instead of beating on it put in a vise or a press, place a small socket on one end and a straight drift punch on the other squeeze with even pressure it will come out.

Reply to
HarryS

Use a bigger hammer....

A torch might blow out the rust holding it, but a good soak in penetrating oil sure can't hurt.

Mike

Cherokee-LTD wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Canadian tire sell 'liquid wrench' which isn't bad.

My wife recently got me some Krown KP 53 penetrating fluid from Home Hardware and it seems to work really well.

As you have found out, WD40 only displaces water, it is a very poor penetrant. Brake fluid is 'way' better as a penetrant if you are desperate.

Mike

Cherokee-LTD wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Harry, I tried pressing it out while it was mounted with a mini vice.. 4.5mm socket as the 'die' and a 10mm socket as a spacer on the head end... no luck. With the part cut off, I can't do it in a press because of the U shape... it will crush the part. I tried bridging the gap as well. This puppy is frozen solid. Time to call the dealer or cut one off at the wrecker.

-Brian

: > Tried beating it out in the vice... nothing : > Tried drilling it out in the drill press... not even scratching it. : >

: > I'm going to try some heat tomorrow but I have a feeling I'll be ordering : a : > new hinge. Damn 20 minute job will have me out of commission for days! : >

: > -Brian : >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Reply to
Mort

Reply to
Mort

Thanks Mort - I never thought to try them for two reasons. 1. they're across the city 2. they're not competitive price-wise. I'm more than willing to go out of my way and pay a bit extra for PB... everybody swears by it in here but nobody in town has ever heard of it (or at least they say so and then push their product).

-Brian

: >

: >>I'm trying to replace the hinge pin on my '92 XJ... left front lower pin : >>WILL NOT come out! I've removed the header panel...fender...door for : >

: > access : >

: >>and no luck. I ended up cutting the pin from the hinge but the top and : >>bottom is still stuck in there... any ideas? : >>

: >>Tried beating it out in the vice... nothing : >>Tried drilling it out in the drill press... not even scratching it. : >>

: >>I'm going to try some heat tomorrow but I have a feeling I'll be ordering : >

: > a : >

: >>new hinge. Damn 20 minute job will have me out of commission for days! : >>

: >>-Brian : >>

: >>

: >>

: >

: >

: >

:
Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Blue wrench to the rescue. Tried propane on but couldn't get it hot enough. Took the hinge down the street to a local machine shop... he tried drilling it out, no luck. Put the torches to it til it was cherry and beat the bin out with a punch. Bent the punch too! Everything is back together and I'm going to leak test the door at the car wash. Thanks for the ideas guys!

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

I'm in London south, they're in the upper east side of the city.

-Brian

: > : >

: > : >>I'm trying to replace the hinge pin on my '92 XJ... left front lower pin : > : >>WILL NOT come out! I've removed the header panel...fender...door for : > : >

: > : > access : > : >

: > : >>and no luck. I ended up cutting the pin from the hinge but the top and : > : >>bottom is still stuck in there... any ideas? : > : >>

: > : >>Tried beating it out in the vice... nothing : > : >>Tried drilling it out in the drill press... not even scratching it. : > : >>

: > : >>I'm going to try some heat tomorrow but I have a feeling I'll be : > ordering : > : >

: > : > a : > : >

: > : >>new hinge. Damn 20 minute job will have me out of commission for days! : > : >>

: > : >>-Brian : > : >>

: > : >>

: > : >>

: > : >

: > : >

: > : >

: > : : >

: >

:
Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Don't ya just love the 'extras' of living in the salt belt.... ;-)

Mike

Cherokee-LTD wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

New hinges in order

HarryS

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Mort

Why would I do that? If I was faced with this task again, I would do it the same way. The pin and bushing cost $17. A new hinge kit with pin is over $100 from the dealer. The only thing I would do different is not wasting my time trying to get the pin out without torches.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Mort, Thanks for pointing out the Midpark address... it's only about two miles from me. Is that a new location? It's about the same distance as Brafasco and closer than Facca for me. I'll wait for your price quote and head over... the price comparison may give me an indication of the pricing tendency. I found the Clark Rd. store to be roughly 10% higher across the board than Brafasco.

-Brian

: > : > : >

: > : > : >>I'm trying to replace the hinge pin on my '92 XJ... left front lower : > pin : > : > : >>WILL NOT come out! I've removed the header panel...fender...door for : > : > : >

: > : > : > access : > : > : >

: > : > : >>and no luck. I ended up cutting the pin from the hinge but the top : > and : > : > : >>bottom is still stuck in there... any ideas? : > : > : >>

: > : > : >>Tried beating it out in the vice... nothing : > : > : >>Tried drilling it out in the drill press... not even scratching it. : > : > : >>

: > : > : >>I'm going to try some heat tomorrow but I have a feeling I'll be : > : > ordering : > : > : >

: > : > : > a : > : > : >

: > : > : >>new hinge. Damn 20 minute job will have me out of commission for : > days! : > : > : >>

: > : > : >>-Brian : > : > : >>

: > : > : >>

: > : > : >>

: > : > : >

: > : > : >

: > : > : >

: > : >

: > : : >

: >

:
Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

I imagine they dont sell a lot of loctite there lol. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego