XJ doors won't open

I am looking to buy a '92 XJ for $800. The only problem is 3 of the 4 doors(all except the drivers) are stuck shut. The story is the guy only drove it to work so the only door used was the drivers. I did manage to play with the rear drivers door a bit and was able to get the lock mechanism to move, very stiff, but still was not able to open the door, outside button pushed in but door did not move. I really don't want to buy the jeep if I can't get the doors open, as I have 2 kids.

Will I be able to get the inside panels off with the doors shut to be able to check/free up the linkage?

The rest of the Jeep is in pretty good shape for a '92, so I think it may be a great deal even if I have to put a little work into the doors, but I don't want to buy it if the doors will never open again.

Reply to
aGraham

No offense meant but if the only problem is the 3 doors won't open and that will keep you from buying it then maybe you should get a newer one. A 92 is now 14 years old and problems are to be expected in any car that old. You should be able to get the panels off though. There's 2 screws in the arm rests and another (maybe 2) in the chrome plate around the inside handle. Then there's the push in clips all around the sides and bottom and it's "hooked" on the top. You can finagle the plate around the handle through the door panel but if not there's two wire links that need unhooked first. If it has crank windows then the crank just pulls off. Also the jeep owners best friend is PB Blaster and it's available at most places selling auto parts. Forget about WD-40!

JoBo.

Reply to
Jo Bo