XJ fuel pump assembly / gas fumes inside

Hello RAMJ+W group (what's left of you), There have been strong gas fumes all around my '98 XJ, lately. I've been leaving the garage door partially open, due to the fumes.

The last two times that I filled it, gas appeared to run out of the top center of the tank before the pump handle cut itself off.

Tonight, I reached up where I believe the fuel pump assembly/outlet hose is located, and felt what seems to be a collar which rotated freely. I could get the assembly to rotate relatively freely.

Does this indicate that the gasket has deteriorated? Is what I called a "collar" a threaded device - or is it a lock ring? If I am going to make a parts run to the dealer, what all should I buy? The hose doesn't feel as if it is deteriorated.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Reply to
98XJ

That ring holds the pump assembly in place. If it's loose then gas will leak out past the seal. Can't say if the seal is gone or not, but you will have to remove it to find out.

This should help.

At least on the XJ you don't have to drop the tank like on the ZJ.

Since you will have to take the assembly out, clean the filter sock with some fresh gas or replace it if it's all cruddy.

Remember to always use brass (non sparking) tools. ..yes, you could use steel, but if you draw a spark by fuel the results can be "unpleasant"..

Reply to
DougW

Oh yea... forgot. If you put a new seal in there coat it with grease or it can tear when you lock it down.

Also make sure the pump, intake, and float doesn't catch on anything when it goes in. Sometimes if it's at an angle it can get outside the sump.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks for the replies and link, Doug. I am printing the write-up from the link, now. Usually I am happy that I have a full tank...

Reply to
98XJ

7-23-09 Well, I stopped by the 4WD shop for some parts after work, and while there, discussed this situation. Dave brought out the lock ring and seal. I told him that the ring felt like a plastic jar lid, not a metal stamping. He then recalled that Cherokees have plastic tanks and retainers, and brought out a part as I described.

This evening, I spent awhile under the XJ trying to get the threads to engage, with no luck. Despite what I have read on many Jeep sites, it looks to me as if there is no clearance to remove/replace the fuel pump assembly without dropping the tank on a '97-'01 XJ. Can any XJ drivers or mechanics confirm? Thanks.

Reply to
98XJ

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Yes. The tank must be dropped on an XJ with a plastic tank.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
98XJ