XJ transfer case linkage question

The shaft that runs through the trunion on the transfer case linkage of my wife's 95 XJ (I6 - auto) has 'slipped' out of the pivot point that it attaches to on the transfer case side.

It appears that there is a snap ring type groove on the end of it. The shaft also goes through a hole that obviously had some bushing in it as the diameter is approximately twice that of the shaft. Said bushing is gone.

I was able to put the shaft back into the TC hole and shift back in to 2 wd hi.

How can I repair this? Is there a snap ring inside of the TC that holds that pivot shaft in place?

And why oh why does this shit happen when it's 20 degrees out and snowing and poor me without a heated garage?

thanks paul

Reply to
paul

For the same reason that the starter drive gear on my snow blower decided to explode yesterday. Sure I can still start it with the rope starter...

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

My first concern would be that the bushing and assorted snap ring and other stuff isn't bouncing around in the TC

Reply to
Roy

That is a concern - I haven't heard any funny noises - yet and I believe it is connected to the side of the transmission not the TC as originally posted.

Reply to
paul

Unless I'm reading you description wrong, you are referring to an exposed pivot shaft that fits into a bracket that just hangs off the tranny/tc. If I'm right, the slotted end of the shaft fits into a nylon bushing that is popped into the bracket. Damned if I know where to find one, but it should be available for a few cents (or a couple of bucks at the stealership). The bushing snaps into the bracket then the shaft pops into the bushing. Takes a fair amount of force for either part, so lube them well before you start.

Reply to
Will Honea

YES! That's exactly the doo dad!

Thanks Will!