XJ tyre size & fitment

(UK) Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Sport, 1998, 2.5 Diesel.

I'm currently using original fitment 225/75/R15 tyres (Goodrich Long Trail's). These have no fitment problems, don't rub and give full steering lock.

I want to fit 235/75/R15 (Goodrich AT). Their slightly taller and wider. I've seen it suggested that 235/75/R15's 'should' fit OK without rubbing, and that this is roughly the upper limit the XJ will take without mods.

Whilst the Goodrich AT might fit OK regards 'axle articulation' i'm not so sure about the 'steering lock' and rubbing. It looks to me as though it could be quite tight round the steering system with this AT tyre. The 225/75/R15's run pretty close as it is.

I've no way of trying them before i buy. So, does anyone know whether 235/75/R15's, particularly Goodrich AT's, fit happily on the XJ without rubbing and give full steering lock (which i use often).

If they do rub, but only under more severe off-roading, that could be OK for my usage (mainly Tarmac).

Reply to
Dave

Dave, I've got 235's on my 1997 "XJ" 4L, 6 cyl. They are not Goodrich, but Michelins. they work just fine on my US model (left-hand steering column). I don't know if yours is (but I suspect is) right-hand steering, I suppose there could be some differences in the linkage. Only problem I encountered with these oversize tires was when the roads got icy and I put on rear tire snow chains. It was very difficult (almost impossible) to get the chains tight enough to keep them from rattling against the plastic fender trim. After 50 miles or so of stopping every few miles to tighten and adjust those darn chains, there was some minor scrapes on the plastic fender trim, out of sight, but still there.

Old Chief Lynn

Reply to
coffelt2

The most recent issue of Four Wheeler magazine contains a fitment chart. I hope this helps. I did not search for the particular article on their site, but the last magazine issue specialized on tires & fitment. Good luck.

P.S. - My family took a driving vacation through the Britian & Scotland a few years ago and people could NOT have been more cordial. Thank you to your fellow countrymen. If Obama's craziness continues, perhaps we will join you there.

Reply to
98XJ

I'm also in the UK and I've had 235/75/R15 BFG AT KOs on my 1996 4.0 XJ for the last 3 years. Damn good tyre but they DO rub on full right lock on tarmac. Strangely, they're OK on full left lock.

Reply to
Mick Tilley

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III