XJ with AT stuck in high gear

Dear Body of Jeep Knowledge,

My beloved '96 Cherokee with automatic transmission gets "stuck" in 3rd or

4th gear. I'm hoping this is an electrical problem rather than a transmission problem because if I put the shifter in 1·2, it properly starts out in the low gears. Once I get speed, I just pop it into 3 or OD and the transmission shifts fine. But whenever I slow down or come to a stop, the transmission stays in the high gear (either 3 or 4).

Anyone seen this before? Any ideas? Many thanks!

adam

2005 TJ Unlimited 1996 XJ Country
Reply to
L.A. Jeepster

L.A. Jeepster did pass the time by typing:

Check to see if the kickdown cable is still attached to the throttle body.

How old is your transmission fluid and is it low?

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Just had my transmission fluid serviced a couple weeks ago (complete flush). Strangely, though, I first saw this problem about a year ago, but it just went away on its own.

Reply to
L.A. Jeepster

Did they use the correct fluid?

Reply to
billy ray

I would start by cleaning the connection on the TPS. It has some control on how the gears shift. I recommend a spray contact cleaner for all the sensor plugs and sockets, but WD40 will do in a pinch.

Mike

Mike Romain

OK what do the transmission techs have to touch to change the fluid? Any sensors or wires? Any electrical connections that might put the transmission into "limp" mode? Or is that possible with the '96 XJs?

If it was the earlier XJs I would suggest the fuse to the TCM, wiring, or the TCM. I think your transmission is controlled by the ECM.

thinking out loud

Reply to
One out of many daves

One out of many daves did pass the time by typing:

When you drop the tranny pan there are several connectors in there but they shouldn't be in the way. Wonder if they got the filter /pickup back on? (not a usual part to forget)

Reply to
DougW

Yeah they shouldn't be in the way, but if the "tech" is having problems getting the pan off and is not paying too much attention maybe he pulled connections apart.

I have dealt with my 91 Passat auto trans and it's electrical components going to it creating similar problems. Moisture, bad connections and bad sensors all caused the trans to go into "limp" mode. Fixed now though. ;-)

Just a thought!

Reply to
One out of many daves

Adam, Is the e-address below correct? I have the diagnostic section of the '01 XJ auto tranny manual .

Reply to
billy ray

Adam, Is the e-address below correct? I have the diagnostic section of the '01 XJ auto tranny manual .

Reply to
billy ray

For everyone's pleasure...

Turns out my problem was a faulty #1 solenoid. In drive, the two solenoids act like switches to give four transmission states: 1, 2, 3, and OD. Replaced the bad one and I'm running great again.

If you ever find yourself experiencing like symptoms, this could be it, and it's a much easier fix than rebuilding the transmission.

Reply to
L.A. Jeepster