Yet another biggest tires post (But this time for a Grand)

Anyone know the biggest tire that you can fit (with little to no off road rub) on a 96 Grand Limited with a 3.5" lift Kit.

Thanks

Reply to
southshore

L.W.(ßill)

Significant fender cutting and/or flare relocation is required to fit

32x11.50 (Bill, that chart has problems). No big deal, just be prepared to cut sheet metal and budget for aftermarket flares and wheels.

Manufacturers of most 3.5" ZJ kits recommend 31x10.50. Even then, you will likely have to do some minor fender snipping under the flares:

You can fit 32x11.50 or 33x10.50 with a 4.5" lift. Again, minor fender trimming likely required.

The deep backspacing of the stock wheels becomes an issue as you go with bigger tires. Changing to wheels with less backspacing will limit control-arm rub on tight turns and inner wheel well rub on full flex. That being said, neither is hard to live with as they typically occur at very low speed.

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Hi Bill,

Just letting the OP know that he's got a date with a Sawzall if he opts for 32s and that he may get more than a little rubbing with stock wheels. Yes, the chart states this (although it should have the 'proper wheel offset crucial' asterisk in that cell), but I thought a little embellishment was in order.

I don't know about other vehicles on the chart, but the '84-up Cherokee' row is insane. It says 31s will fit stock with no cutting. No way. 29s might fit stock, but 30s need a 1-2" boost to clear properly. 31s need

3". It says 33x12.50 will fit 3" with 'major trimming'. That's an understatement. Maybe someone's tried it, but I've never seen it. I've got 33x10.50 with 4.5" and when the front is fully flexed they just barely clear the ceiling with extended bump stops and the well liners removed. Also, the chart is misleading in what it doesn't say. There are commercially available XJ lifts 6, 8" and beyond that allow 34, 35"+ tires. The chart omits this and thus implies 33x12.50 is the max size for an XJ. Bah! Am I babbling again? :)

With this one row so bad, I wonder if the rest is any good. Do the CJ/YJ/TJ rows look okay?

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve