YJ Axle Shift Motor

I was posting as Jeepers and just realized that someone else posts here using the same name ( or someone else use to use that name) so you will notice I changed my nick a bit.

Anyways 2 days ago I had my vehicle in 4WD and today I went to work and noticed that the front axles are locked in 4wd. The indicator light does not indicate that I'm in 4WD and responds to me shifting in and out of 4WD. From what I have read when I shift to 4WD the transfer case of course shifts the gears and via vacuum it trips a pressure switch to energize the indicator light.....this all seems to be in order. Also I understand it also applys or removes vacuum on the axle shift motor and engages / disengages the front axles.

So from this I guess I can assume one of the following:

1:) I have a bad vacuum line 2:) The shift motor diaphram is damaged 3:) The shift linkage from the shift motor is damaged / jammed

Is there an easy way to manually disengage this until I get time after NewYears to really look at the problem.

Also does it apply vacuum to engage the front axles or remove vacuum?

Reply to
Jeepster_2

You can pull the vacuum hose plug off of the front axle and then with the engine running see if you can tell if one side still has vacuum to it. If it does, then place that side onto the opposite fitting from where you pulled it off. That should disengage it and hold it there until you can check out the entire system. You didn't tell us what type of vehicle you have but if it is like mine (91 YJ) then this should work for you. My YJ has the switch for the 4WD light on the front axle disconnect so it would still be lit up if the front axle is still engaged. Might yours be like this also? If so, you have a different problem.

Good luck and Happy New Year! Dave

Reply to
GpGeek

No... you posted as "Jeepster" and the other guy is "Jeepers". As far as your YJ... it is vacuum activated, and prone to problems. There is a modification that eliminates the vacuum actuator. I'm sure someone will chime in with the link (Bill).

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries

Reply to
JimG

Beat ya Bill:

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Try again to connect it all together:

=4&FNM=00&T1=52435+00&AID=10273891&PID=1117139>

Reply to
JimG

Hmmm... still didn't work... I never be as good as Bill. :-(

D=4&FNM=00&T1=52435+00&AID=10273891&PID=1117139>

> =4&FNM=00&T1=52435+00&AID=10273891&PID=1117139> >

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Jeepster_2

Reply to
Jeepster_2

Reply to
Jeepster

You didn't say what year or model, there are some differences. Pressure switch on the firewall sorta indicates '87 to '90 YJ Wrangler.

First off, don't worry about the front axle being continuouisly engaged, all of the TJ's ('97 and later) run that way all the time.

The shift motor is vac pulled each way, in and out. The 4wd pressure switch and the 4wd light are quite reliable, if the light works and responds, things are usually all right in the axle. In fact, the light will not go out until the axle disengages.

The really shaky part of all this is the vac lines and the switch on the transfer case. ($35 and $15 respectively)

So if all that works, I have to ask what makes you th> I was posting as Jeepers and just realized that someone else posts

Reply to
Roy J
87 YJ Laredo / 258 cu

It seems to have a bit of bump steer ..... not real bad but n>You didn't say what year or model, there are some differences.

Reply to
Jeepster

What size suspension lift do you have, if you have one, and do you have the factory Pitman steering arm or a dropped Pitman arm?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to