YJ axle shims

On a YJ with a shackle lift, I want to correct for the steering geometry with shims.

So, s "Someone directed you wrong, by the way.

You want to put the thick end of the shim AWAY from the shackles. Since the shackles "push down", you want to counter-push the axle, hence the OTHER end. So the thin end of the shim goes at the shackle end."

Which is it!

Reply to
Jeepers

LOL, think about it....

The shackles rotate the front down and pinion up. You want the front to come back up and the pinion to go back down.

The reverse is true for the back, the pinion come up and knocks the driveshaft u-joints out of balance or tolerance.

The wedge has to be on the side of the drop down to bring it back up.

Mike

Jeepers wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks Guys. Now can I get a straight answer?

The front axle has been rotated forward, causing the pinion to rise and my caster to decrease(?), therefore I think I would put the shim in fat side to the front to rotate the pinion back down and increasing my caster to increase (?).

Yes or No (and any correction to my inept thesis)

Reply to
Jeepers

Think of it this way.... If your pinion is angled up and you were to turn your axle to rotate it back down, where would that leave the biggest gap? For the front, put the fat side to the front of the Jeep. On the back, put the fat side to the back of the Jeep.

Now if it has an SOA it would be opposite.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7, 258 CID 35" BFG MT's on 15x10 Centerlines 4.56 D30-D44 SOA D300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn 8000i w/dual batteries LockRight F&R

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Yes!

That is what we both said....

But it goes in the rear of the rear to get the rear pinion back to specs too.

Otherwise you will eat rear driveshaft u-joints 'fast'.

Mike

Mike Romain

Oh, also figure on retorquing the u bolts a week after the job. They 'will' come loose unless you use an impact gun and really over torque them the first shot, but even then it is worth a recheck.

I helped Norm Mitchell from this group do a spring lift and we torqued everything properly. He didn't do a retorque and a few weeks later we found him lost in the bush 25 miles from the nearest house with his driveshaft laying on the ground because the springs came loose, the center pin sheared, the springs all shifted and the axle shifted back.

He got lucky, he heard one of us, 'mad Jo' on her boosted all to crap CB in the middle of a 10 Day RAMJ+W newsgroup run. She tagged him and the other 7 of us spread out on the trails trying to pick him up on our regular CB's. One guy, Steve Seppala tagged him due east, so we all headed that way while Jo sat on hill relaying the messages.

Reply to
Mike Romain