YJ SPEEDOMETER DOESN'T WORK +

Hello All, I need a little help. I have a 94 wrangler...the speedometer is "dead" most of the time. It does work on occasion. Any advice with what could be ailing it?

Also, (not sure if related), when I turn my headlight switch on, the lights do turn on as advertised, however, the speedometer light does not come on AND both turn signal and high beam indicators are illuminated. I changed out the light switch, no help.

Any advice on my issues? Thanks for the help.

rc

Reply to
rc

Sounds like you've got an electric problem.

The speedo is electronic, not mechanical, so that could affect it.

connection (power flowing through separate circuits that share a ground).

Reply to
yjarray

I am thinking grounds....

Your main ground strap is from the back of the engine head to the firewall. When it goes bad strange things can happen.

There are some other grounds on the side of the engine near the oil dip stick.

I am not sure where the dash ground hooks up but it is suspect too.

Mike

rc wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks guys. I will check all the grounds that I can find.

Reply to
rc

I'm, BAAACK! I checked the grounds on the right side of vehicle (battery side) and all seem to be intact and fine. The engine to fire wall ground is good. I couldn't locate the instrument cluster ground. I pulled the instrument cluster off and checked the circuit "board" on back....all circuits looked good, no breaks. All vehicle lights are working. Any other suggestions?

rc

Reply to
rc

Have you cleaned the contacts on the plug on the transfer case end, my daughter's YJ speedo quits all the time and she just unplugs and plugs back in a couple times and it works for another couple months, I keep telling her to clean in properly, but she must like climbing under there a lot.

Reply to
Greg

greg, i will try that. thanks

Reply to