YJ tranfer case in a CJ

Is there any way to use a transfer case from a YJ in a CJ. Is it possible to make the front output come out the passenger side? I have never seen one.

Reply to
mark

The CJ gear based one is 'so' much better no one would bother converting 'down' a grade for the weak Yuppie Jeep chain drive....

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Why would you want to take what is possibly the best transfer case ever made and replace it with an NP231?

In theory, it could be done, but you would need a new front axle at the very least. There would be significant fabrication skills needed to complete such a job.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

What year CJ and model T-Case do you have?

18? 300? 20? Quadra?...

The only reason I can see swapping a Dana 300 for an NP231 is a monetary one. If you're doing this because you destroyed your current T-Case and you have a 231 on hand than I can kind-of see the where you're coming from. However, if it's because you think the

231 would be better than your current operational T-Case, then you probably want to take another look at what you want to do. The only weakness to a 300 is the tiny 26 spline output shaft which can be changed to a 32 for cheaper than you could get a new T-Case. They also sell overhaul kits for all of these T-Cases'. If the monetary situation I described above is what you're looking at, than this is what I suggest; find a way to sell the 231 you have (ebay, swap meet, YJ Buddy) and use the money to fix your stock unit. You can get any pat you need from Advanced Adapters (1-800-350-2223). They're very knowledgeable and they can talk you through any options you might be considering to help you find a solution.

Hope this helps

-Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

It can not possibly be cheaper to fix a D, or buy a new one, than to swap a D to an NP231. There can be no monetary motivation for this swap, and the mechanical advantage of the D over the NP231 pretty much overshadows the weigh improvement one might gain by the swap.

There is no reason to take this giant leap backwards.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I was only asking because I would like to repower the Jeep and I know a guy with a 4.0 with transmission and transfer case all for sale.

Reply to
mark

For starters the driveshafts are on the wrong side. Not really a compatible swap.

Mike

Mike Romain

It makes more sense to take the 4.0 and dump the transmission and tcase on eBay.

You will have your plate pretty full getting the 4.0 to work right because you will need to graft in the computer.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland