Yoke for an AMC20

I am currently waiting for a yoke for my AMC20. I hope to be getting the UBolt Type instead of the more common Strap Type, DriveTrains Direct says that Spicer has stopped making the ubolt type while my driveline shop says he can get one.

Does anybody have a Ubolt Type yoke that goes on an AMC20?

In related news, my driveshaft fell out in the street in front of a friend's house. the small tabs that hold the centered broke off long ago, and I have had a small piece of a hose clamp wedged in between the cup and the strap for quite some time, I would take a guess that I have been using bubble gum and bailing wire for about 3 years now. Anyhow, when I got the remnants of the driveshaft off and in the back seat, I drove home on front wheel drive. What an experience that was! I don't know if you guys appreciate how much torque steer one gets from a Detroit locker on the front axle. The torque steer is huge! And, you never know which way it is going to go. Sometimes the left tire is pre-loaded and new applications of gas will cause a sudden veer to the right, other times the right tire is pre-loaded and the veer is to the left. If the fuel feed and drivetrain loading is just right, the situatin can easily get out of control, and pressing the clutch in to release the drivetrain is the only thing that can be done to regain directional control. In a feeble attempt to stop the torque steer from one side to the other, I unlocked one of the hubs and tried to go in one-wheel drive. Besides the severe tendency to yank the steering wheel out of my hands and tear the steering linkage all apart, this would have worked out good. Given my desire to actually get home without having to walk or wait for a tow truck, I locked the hub back in and dealt with the torque steer. Most of the roadway on the last bit of my trip was straight, and wide (wide being the more important quality of these two).

When they tell you that if the rear axle or driveshaft breaks, you can easily drive home on the front axle, I think "they" didn't have a locker and they had tight tie rods. When I get my yoke replaced, my next project for CRWLR is to take a serious look at the steering linkage.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

jeff-i installed a u-bolt type yoke when i grenaded my driveshaft. i'll let you know who makes it and the part# when i get home. i think it may be spicer though.

Reply to
serg

I think that, if you call Randy's ring and pinion, they should be able to supply you with the correct part number and/or parts.

"For technical questions or price information please call toll free at

1-800-292-1031 and talk to our trained sales staff" (copied from their "contact us" page)

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
TJim

Bookmarked into my "Jeep" folder. Thanks!

Reply to
Jeepers

Randy has the yoke I need. Thanks for the link.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Did you drill it too big or too small?

Or was it too wide or too narrow?

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The bolt holes were too close together for the ubolt. If I closed the bolt so that it would fit the holes, then it was too small to fit the ujoints. The ubolt type yoke is actually a little larger than the strap type yoke. Of course, the joint location is the same size, but the rest of the yoke is larger.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The hole I made is pretty large (compared to the original hole), and I can't imagine how the ubolt can be made to fit and still have enough material to retain the integrity of the yoke.

In any case, Randy's Ring and Pinion has a new Yoke Kit that contains the yoke, ubolts, oil seal, ujoint and pinion nut, all for about $35. The yoke alond costs $32, so the rest of the stuff is thrown in for just $3 more. Sweet deal!

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks.

I was thinking on converting mine to u-bolts and will check the dimensions out 'real' carefully before I start.

I have a Dana 44 rear with the Dana 300 t-case.

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

There is a place on the Web called Randys Ring and Pinion. They carry a "trail maintenance kit" that contains the yoke, ubolts, pinion seal and nut, and ujoint all for $35, the yoke itself is $32 if ordered separately. I can't believe they give away a ujoint for 3 bucks. These are USD prices, you will pay double in Canada ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland