your thoughts needed...

probably like many of us, I will be getting my tax return money shortly and am trying to decide what to do with it.

I am planning on having about $1,000 - $1500 to work with. What should I do to my stock '79 CJ7 current gears 3.54 narrow track axles.

Possible choice:

1.) buy the axles I listed in the other message, (basically $450 for narrow track rear D44 and front AMC 30 with lock-right lockers and 3.73 gears, front already set up for SOA) and finish the rear SOA and get 33 or 36" tires and other SOA stuff, I would possibly try to find YJ springs. (fabrication is not an issue)

or

2.) Get a 4" lift, 33" tires, one piece axles for my AMC 20, and possibly a rear Aussie-locker

Sorry for the lack of details, I am just starting my research. I basically do muddy trails, not much rocks, but could possibly in the future.

Reply to
aGraham

If it were mine, I'd go with #2, The AMC 20 is a stout axle once you put in one-piece shafts. You'll probably want to regear to at least 4.10's and possibly 4.56's, which you'd have to do either way.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

With those two choices, I would put the money in the D44. The 3.73 gears might do for a while with 33's (not 36's). Then when you re-gear lower, the carriers will work (your 3.56's will require new carriers).

One of my regrets was sticking with the narrow track axles though.

My $0.02

Reply to
JimG

You need to come wheeling with me.....

I am running BFG 33x9.5 muds with 3.31 gears and open diffs.

I only need a 2.5" spring lift to fit them on my 86 CJ7.

I am 'always' the person everyone 'tries' to follow with their big fat tires and big lifts.

All my photo album shots are taken from the top or other side of folks trying to get where I be to already.

If I had the money and setup you have, I would go for a winch....

Mike

Photo albums are at Sony's ImageStation site. They want folks to join to see the photos, but they don't spam and then you have a place to load your own albums up to.

These are all shots of folks from this newsgroup out >

Reply to
Mike Romain

But that's because of driving ability (and big nads).

No doubt it can be done, but you have to admit that a properly locked/geared Jeep will go the more difficult places slower and safer.

Been there, seen that.

;-)

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
Redge Egder

LOL!

I do agree ability makes a big difference.

I have been off roading every vehicle I have owned since the early 70's and have put many a serious 4x4 to serious shame when they tried to follow me in an Austin Mini on snowmobile trails and on logging roads.

Man passing snowmobiles in a race on the outside of the corners is a trip and a half, especially when the sled drivers just toss their hands in the air and give up as I am zapping them in a 4 wheel drift around the corner....

Still.....

If I can put the modified boys to shame with a stock CJ7, then maybe driver training is more required than expensive parts...?????

I have only once had a Jeep beat me on an ice hill climb.

It was snowboardripper from this newsgroup and he walked up an ice wall I had to winch up and had to winch everyone except him up.

It was cool, He hit the top and his arm came out the window raised yelling 'cool, I beat Mike Romain up a climb!'

No one else has done that in the 4 years I have owned my CJ7....

That 'was' cool.....

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to